Faces To Remember

Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 11:38 am

The walk in question. The sun got most of it but the cold has frozen the melt in place.

To my great relief, nobody from the city has been by to perform a pop inspection of my sidewalks which, as I told you last week, remained unshoveled as my way of protesting the city’s refusal to scrape the snow off  the neighborhood streets.  It wasn’t much of a rebellion, though, knowing that temperatures into the forties last weekend would likely take care of the snow and the problem. It did too..except at our house where the walks first turned into concrete rivers and now, thanks to this latest arctic blast, have become slippery glaciers that don’t appear as if they’ll yield until sometime in May. So it’s back to ACE for another bag of ice melt.

Besides the ice, this photo from our front deck reveals another truth about my astounding ability to procrastinate. Can you see what it is?

sidewalks 002

Part of my daily routine is to check a few favorite web sites which is where I came across photos of a couple characters who some of you under the age of forty may not recognize. Heck, I’m  a long ways past forty and I didn’t know who they were right off.

Well..here see for yourself.

assassans sir han old

Looks a little like that controversial former head of Egyptian antiquities and darling of the History Channel..Zahi Hawass only without the Indiana Jones hat.

But it’s actually the Palestinian who, 44 years ago, took exception to the Middle East policies of presidential candidate, Robert Kennedy and emptied a revolver into him  as he walked through the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles shortly after declaring victory in the California primary.

He’s Sir Han Sir Han the scum bag with two same names who was first sentenced to die in the gas chamber for his crime but, three years after the murder,  got life instead when California decided the death penalty was cruel and unusual punishment. So, Sir Han, who’s approaching 70,  has been keeping busy with Donald Moeller-like appeal after appeal, now claiming he’d been hypnotized and doesn’t remember anything about putting a bullet in Kennedy’s head and injuring five others.

Sir Han shortly after killing Senator Robert Kennedy in 2968

Sir Han shortly after killing Senator Robert Kennedy in 1968

The parole board still isn’t buying any of it so Sir Han remains in solitary at..get this..Pleasant Valley State Prison in Coalinga, California. He says he’d like to go back to Jordan if he’s ever released which isn’t likely.

Okay, how about this guy..recognize him?

assassans mark david chapman

He’s a former drug addict who became “born again” and lived a Christian life until jilted by his girlfriend..then resorted back to  his crazy ways which included a plot to assassinate music legend, John Lennon. A plan he carried out in December of 1980 outside Lennon’s New York City apartment building.

Mark David Chapman is a strange ranger. So strange that his lawyers were confident they could get him off the hook on a not guilty by reason of insanity plea. But then Chapman..who got born again..again.. behind bars..surprised his attorneys saying he was going to plead guilty and take his medicine without anymore legal appeals. Chapman, who remarried before the assassination, remains isolated from the prison population at his new digs, Wende Correctional Facility in Alden, New York, but he is allowed one conjugal visit a year from his wife. He’d like to go free somedayand start a new church with her but his requests for parole every two years have, so far, been denied; in part because of so many people on the outside  have sworn they’ll shoot him on site if he’s ever turned loose.

I don’t know why, but for some reason I don’t ever recall seeing  this photo of Lennon signing an autograph for Chapman himself..just hours before Chapman returned to shoot him dead.

Photo of John Lennon signing a copy of his Double Fantasy album for Mark David Chapman, taken by Paul Goresh, December 8, 1980. Photo Copyright © 1980, 1981 Paul Goresh. All Rights Reserved.

Chapman’s next shot at parole comes in 2014. Unlike Sir Han, though, there is a possibility he might actually  someday be set free; perhaps when Lennon fans are too old to present a threat.

Maybe he and his wife will open that church.

Who could possibly want to be a member?

I can’t “Imagine.”

1. Public Servant says:

I always read your blog and I really enjoy it, but I don’t appreciate that you refuse to clear your sidewalks. Just imagine a person in a wheelchair trying to get to work or to the store and having to work extra hard to get through your snow and ice! Think about that when you are too lazy to spend a half an hour to clear your sidewalks. I still like your blog though… I’m not mad at you!

2. ClaudeM says:

I was thinking about sidewalks, water flow, and ice build up…..what ever happened to those old fashion steel sidewalk grates that worked so good ? Atleast then if the snow melted it ran into the grate and did’nt just sit on top of the sidewalk to refreeze into a river of ice !!! I suppose they were to un-sightly, or to expensive ? Well, these “modern” sidewalks leave alot to be desired in that respect. Progress is not always progress !

3. GMAX9 says:

Interesting array of topics today, Doug. Did not recognize either of the murderer’s pictures but do remember seeing the picture of John Lennon signing an autograph for Chapman. He’s a strange one – was amazed to hear he was married – last I heard Jody Foster wasn’t.

Appreciate your protest of the city’s failure to clear the streets but do hope there aren’t too many walkers in your neighborhood. Be a shame if someone were to fall and get hurt – unless of course you could arrange for the city street commissioner to . . . oh no, shame on me!

As for your Christmas lights — if it makes you feel any better I still have the lights on my house and the light-up tree in my yard, although they all stay unplugged. I’m not sure if it’s procrastination or laziness but I do know that if you look up lazy in the dictionary you’ll find my picture. :)

Have a happy week and keep on blogging. There are many of us who would think something wasn’t quite right in our world if you were to give up on us.

4. Crawford T. says:

“He’s a strange one – was amazed to hear he was married – last I heard Jody Foster wasn’t.”

GMAX – You’re probably thinking of John Hinckley, not Mark Chapman. I bet that guy sure felt like an idiot when Jodie finallly outed herself.

5. GMAX9 says:

Thanks, Crawford T. I stand corrected.

6. Eric says:

Hi doug- I too, like your blogs and read every one of them! I was pleased to see you plan to write a couple each week now. I also feel as though you should always try your best to keep your sidewalks clean. Regardless of what the city does or does not do, my motive is to simply avoid getting sued by the parents of the neighbor kids that may slip in front of my house. My dad had a similar feeling as you until my mom wiped out on their driveway and broke her arm and ankle. The way i view it is: “Did I honestly buy my house with the expectation that i wouldn’t have to clean the sidewalks that came with it?” Condos and townhomes often have that stuff taken care of with a small association fee. Assisted living facilities also take care of that stuff for their residents (just joking). Plus, as much as you admit to being somewhat lazy, it may not hurt you to get the heart rate up a little bit and get some fresh air.

P.S. I usually don’t comment on your blogs. But since you are asking for responses, I have now plead my case. You may regret asking for opinions….Haha. Keep on writing, we enjoy it!

7. JeniW says:

I remember the murder of Robert Kennedy very well. It was sad in so many ways, one because he was murdered, and secondly because his death brought an end of the hope of a better U.S.A. Sir Han should remain in prison for as long as Robert is dead (which means forever.)

As for the sidewalks, I can empathize. When I was a home owner I considered it my “punishment for being a home buyer.” But, Doug, as a sometimes wheelchair user I ask that you do the best you can to clear your sidewalk. I know that during the winter the sidewalks won’t always be as ideally cleared, but when I have to go out on the street because the street is safer than the sidewalk, it is a scarey thing for me and drivers. That is true even for those with or without walking limitations.

If you truly want to protest, I am sure there are others who protests the city’s guidelines, take your protest to the City Council. The City Council members have to clear their sidewalks too, and can porbably empathize.