Feeling Blue

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

Lonely..I’m mister lonely..I got nobody..for my own”. (Bobby Vinton 1964)

Missing Linda a little bit.

Can you tell?

She’s been in Arizona for the past week and a half (our longest separation in over 30 years) whooping it up in the desert sunshine with daughter Christy and sister, Renee leaving me here to fend off this abysmal sub-zero invasion from the north by myself. When she called the other night, it was the first time I’d talked in two days.

Even when she IS home there can be long empty periods of silence; not because we’re mad at each other but we’ve unintentionally grown comfortable in our own space. Time can easily pass without a whole lot of conversation and we’re good with that. But this is way too long.

Linda’s being gone has also made one thing crystal clear; I’m a slob. Let me explain. When she is here, I really do try to clean up after myself not leaving dirty clothes or dishes lying around. I’ll rinse the tub after use and occasionally give the toilet a swoosh with a brush when necessary but this living by myself has been an eye opener. I’m not entirely sure how to operate the dish washer so I’ve been doing them the old fashioned way which has led me to discover that I go through way too many dishes and they tend to stack up in the sink which has also lost its shine because of dried water spots. The stovetop, microwave and floors in both the kitchen and bathroom all reflect the careless clod I am and what a mess this place would be without her. Now don’t misunderstand, I’m not melancholy over Linda’s absence simply because she keeps our little abode so spick and span it’s just that I’ve gotten a whole new appreciation for the challenges she faces each day living with me. Don’t worry, I’ll have everything squared away by the time she gets home..although I might leave one muddy footprint in the hallway as a token of my love and how I can’t get along without her.

dave dedrick birth deathWhen it gets cold like this I often flash back to those times on the Keloland news set when weatherman, Dave Dedrick, would issue a “Brass Monkey Alert.” It was a little naughty, I suppose, but everyone sure knew what he meant.

God, I miss that man.

To commemorate this, the third year of his passing, I thought I’d share the eulogy read at his funeral.

EVER SINCE SUNSHINE ASKED IF I’D GIVE A EULOGY, I’VE STRUGGLED TRYING TO COME UP WITH JUST THE RIGHT WORDS TO STRESS WHAT A GREAT MAN MY FRIEND DAVE DEDRICK WAS AND WHAT A HERO AND MENTOR HE WAS TO ME.   BUT THEN I REALIZED, HECK ANYBODY WHO KNEW DAVE AT ALL FEELS THE SAME WAY.

I’LL BET THAT EVERYONE  IN THIS SANCTUARY COULD STAND UP HERE AND TELL  STORIES OF  YOUR OWN ENCOUNTERS WITH DAVE OVER THE YEARS.

HE LEFT A LASTING IMPRESSION TO BE SURE ON EACH PERSON HE MET WHETHER IT WAS DAVE THE SCHOOL MATE, DAVE THE MARINE, DAVE THE BROADCASTING PIONEER, DAVE THE HUNTER, DAVE THE AUTO RACING ANNOUNCER, DAVE THE WEATHER MAN, DAVE THE GOLFER..SINGER..EMCEE OR..OF COURSE..DAVE..MAN OF THE FUTURE..GIVEN THE POWER TO CONTROL TIME.

THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT DAVE DEDRICK WAS PUT ON THIS EARTH TO BE  CAPTAIN ELEVEN..A TELEVISION AND REAL LIFE ROLE MODEL AND HERO TO SO MANY GENERATIONS OF KIDS.

COME ON..WHO ELSE COULD HAVE PULLED IT OFF? WHO ELSE COULD HAVE WORN THAT BLUE UNIFORM WITHOUT LOOKING SILLY.

NO, WE NEEDED A KID AT HEART AND DAVE DEDRICK WAS EXACTLY THE RIGHT GUY FOR THE JOB AT PRECICELY THE RIGHT TIME.

I WAS 9 YEARS OLD WHEN WE GOT OUR FIRST TVSET IN 1955..THE

SAME YEAR CAPTAIN ELEVEN APPEARED FROM THE OUTER GALAXIES. I, LIKE THOUSANDS OF OTHERS BECAME A FAN OF THE MAN AND A FIXTURE IN FRONT OF THE TV AT 4 O’CLOCK  EVERYDAY TO WATCH THE SHOW..WISHING THAT I COULD BE THERE SOMEDAY TO SEE IT ALL IN PERSON.

I DON’T MIND TELLING YOUR THAT WHEN I ACTUALLY WENT TO WORK FOR KELOLAND IN 1974..I WENT INTO THE STUDIO ALONE ONE EVENING AND JUST STARED AT THE TIME CONVERTER WITH IT’S HIGH VOLTAGE ARC AND ROWS OF COLORED JEWELS THAT ..WHEN SWITCHED ON..MADE CARTOONS HAPPEN AND SO MANY KIDS HAPPY.

I FLIPPED ‘EM ALL..OF COURSE..INCLUDING THE ONE THAT STARTED THE TWIRLITZER SPINNING.

I CONSIDERED CHECKING TO SEE WHICH ONE OF THE KEYS WOULD UNLOCK THE TOY CHEST BUT THOUGHT BETTER OF IT.

A FEW MONTHS LATER, DAVE POPPED HIS HEAD INTO THE AUDIO BOOTH WHERE I WAS WORKING AND SAID, HEY..PALLY, I HEAR YOU’RE A GOLFER, WANNA PLAY SOMETIME?

AND THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF A GOLFING PARTNERSHIP THAT LASTED 25 YEARS.

YOU LEARN A LOT ABOUT A GUY SITTING NEXT TO HIM IN A GOLF CART FOUR HOURS A DAY 3 DAYS A WEEK. WE HAD MORE LAUGHS THAN LOW SCORES BUT IT WAS ALWAYS FUN…ESPECIALLY LISTENING TO HIS STORIES WHICH  HE CONTINUED TO TELL EVEN DURING HIS BACKSWING.

SOMETIMES WE’D BE RIDING ALONG AND HE’D JUST BLURT STUFF OUT OF THE BLUE.  I REMEMBER ONE DAY WHEN I WAS BETWEEN MARRIAGES, HE SAID, “YOUR LINDA SURE IS A DOLL.  YOU BETTER HANG ON TO HER, PALLY.”

EVENTUALLY, WE GOT TO KNOW EACH OTHER’S FAMILIES AND SPENT LOTS OF MEMORABLE SUMMER EVENINGS SITTING ON THE PORCH..DAVE, MARJEAN, LINDA AND I,  ENJOYING A COCKTAIL AND LOADS OF LAUGHS.  DAVE QUIT DRINKING IN 1978..BUT HE STILL LOVED PLAYING BARTENDER AND WOULD ALWAYS SAY, “ CAN I FLUFF THAT ONE UP FOR YOU?”

IT WAS GREAT FUN JUST LISTENING TO DAVE AND MARJEAN TALK..OFTEN AT THE SAME TIME.

IN THE EARLY YEARS, WE’D CHAT ABOUT MUSIC, MOVIES, FRIENDS AND ROMANTIC GET-AWAYS WE SHOULD GO TO.

BUT IN LATER YEARS, THE CONVERSATIONS WERE MORE ABOUT DOCTOR APPOINTMENTS AND WHO WAS ON WHAT MEDICATION..HOW MUCH AND FOR HOW LONG?

ONE THING THAT NEVER CHANGED WAS THE LAUGHTER AND COMFORT WE FELT IN EACH OTHERS COMPANY.

A FEW MONTHS AGO, LINDA AND I SPENT A LONG OVERDUE EVENING AT THE DEDRICKS AND IT WAS GRAND..LIKE ALWAYS ONLY THIS TIME WE REMINICED A LOT ABOUT OUR YEARS AT  KELO.

I WONDER IF DAVE SENSED IT WOULD BE OUR LAST SUCH EVENING-BECAUSE THE NEXT DAY I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING EMAIL FROM HIM.

“DOOGLE, IT’S BEEN SO LONG THAT I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW MUCH FUN IT IS TO SPEND AN EVENING TOGETHER WITH DEAR OLD FRIENDS.

We HAVE SHARED SO MANY YEARS OF GREAT MEMORIES THAT OFFER US A TREASURE TROVE OF SUBJECTS TO MULL OVER. THE ‘GOOD OL DAYS’ FILL OUR DIARIES WITH LAUGHTER AND SATISFACTION THAT ‘WE’ WERE THERE TO WITNESS THE FRUITION OF OUR DREAMS COMING TRUE. WHO SAID THAT WE COULDN’T DO IT? HOW WRONG COULD THEY BE.

NOT A DAY GOES BY WHERE SOMEONE ON THE STREET WON’T RECALL THEIR FIRST MEMORIES OF SEEING US ON TELEVISION WHEN THEY WERE GROWING UP. I TAKE IT AS A GREAT COMPLIMENT THAT WE FILLED IN OUR OWN COMPARTMENT IN HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF MEMORY BANKS THAT GREW UP IN THESE FOUR STATES WE DUBBED KELOLAND.

I LOVE IT WHEN THEY SAY ‘HI CAPTAIN ELEVEN!’”

“OLD WOOD TO BURN, OLD BOOKS TO READ..OLD FRIENDS TO TRUST. NOONE CAN EVER TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US! LIFE IS GOOD, MY CUP RUNNETH OVER.”

Rest in Peace old friend.

Doug, Stunning and heartfelt. That is friendship. I do feel that so many of the younger people do not find the time to cultivate long term friendships. Where else will you ever have memories unless you to things that you will want to remember and reminisce about later in live. Note to younger people, toys are not that important. Find a friend to play with your toys and enjoy them together. Little kids do that, I guess the young ones can teach us a lot. CL, this might be your best effort yet.

2. Donna Jensen says:

What great memories we all had of him. I remember how disappointed I was when I realized Captain 11 & Dave Dedrick were one and the same. He was a hero to all of us.

3. Terry Miller says:

Captain 11, my hero forever, you are missed.

4. Paula B says:

Very touching! I have such fond memories of sitting in front of the little black and white TV in the living room at 4:00, too! The eulogy you gave was beautiful! Thank you for bringing those memories back to me.

5. Earl Pringle says:

well said, doug. i wonder how many thousands of us could read this article and feel the same connection. in a way, you two had a way to knit us all together as a community. i’ve never considered the label “kelo-lander” for myself before, but surely i am. your article has shown me this, and i feel the closer for it. thanks.

6. The Big B says:

I very fondly remember those “Brass Monkey Alerts” as well as you and Steve trying desperately to maintain your composure after the alerts were given.

7. Brenda says:

His memory makes me smile, and having only memories and no Captain at our Christmas gatherings makes me sad. A good reminder to enjoy each and every minute we are given and to appreciate what and who we have in our lives.
    Am glad to hear you are surviving. Was going to bring you one of the last two jars of tomatoes this weekend but you didn’t answer your phone. Figured you were busy . . .being lonely!! XOXOXOXO

8. Jack says:

Doug, it is hard to believe it was three years ago when I listened to you give that eulogy. What a Great Man this earth is missing. Keep the house clean, Linda knows you need her to keep it tidy.

9. Lee T says:

What a beautiful eulogy! I’ll never forget growing up watching Captain 11 and being happy beyond reason when I finally got to go to the station to be in the audience. What wonderful memories – thank you for sharing this Doug.

10. Karla K says:

I grew up watching Captain 11, too. I felt like I knew him (and the entire Big News crew) from watching you guys on TV every day. There is a story I’d like to share…I think it was Christmas in 2002, when a good friend of mine said they wanted Dave’s book for Christmas, so I started searching and couldn’t find it in any bookstore. I finally just picked up the phone and called Dave & asked where I could purchase a copy. Now, he didn’t know me from Adam, but he told me to come on over to his house – he’d be happy to “get” me a signed copy. We visited for a time and he didn’t even charge me for the book! He gave me an added bonus of a big hug “from Captain 11″ before I left. Truly a wonderful man and I feel blessed to have met him, no matter how briefly.

11. Pat D says:

As a long time friend, you sure brought back some memories.  I’ll never quit laughing about the time MarJean and Dave moved into their big 2 story house and had a house warming.  It was the middle of the summer and hot as the dickens.  I was sitting in the living room with several people and all of a sudden Dave came in with an armful of wood and built a fire in the fireplace.  I asked him why he was building a fire in the middle of Summer and he grinned and said that he had always wanted a house with a fireplace and now he could light a fire any time he wanted.  What a guy!

12. Tom says:

Thanks for the memory. I, like every other kid I knew was in awe of the Captain. When I was a cub scout I got a chance to see the show and it was fantastic. Even more fantastic was getting to know him better in later years and even getting to tee it up with you guys on the golf course a few times. Good friends are a precious gift. You had great times with Dave for many years and you still have memories that make you smile.

13. roger staum says:

Doug, what a great letter of remembrance. What you wrote is what most of us would hope someone would remember us when that time comes. Thanks Doug.
    Your friend in Daytona Beach, Fl.
    roger

14. Crawford T. says:

Man do I ever miss him too.

15. jack curl says:

The first time I met Dave Dedrick..I was about 7 years old…a school mate’s mother played the organ at Kelo from time to time..and we went to the studio located by the Sports Bowl. Captain allowed me to wear his cap and headphones. What a treat! I was hooked on tv. Had to be involved in it. I watched the new studio go up from the footings to the grand opening. Ever time i went ..I told Captain a different story about where i was from. First i was from Minneapolis then California! Captain always played along. Pick a jewel and flip a switch! And the “time converter” would spool up and off we would go to a cartoon or whatever! I went on to work a Kelo and with Captain for many years. I remember so many Christmas party in the basement..complete with a champagne fountain! Then all of us would stumble over the Red Rooster..studio b and continue the party. Good times.

16. Linda says:

I too was lucky enough to spend my birthday at the Captain 11 Show and flip the switch for my birthday and then we got to wave with one foot, both feet and both hands….great memories. Very nice tribute to your friend.

17. Sheila says:

I grew up with the Captain too. When my son turned 6 we took him in to the show and ended up going home with a poodle from the humane society, which we had for many years. I only regret there isn”t a new generation of the CAPTAIN for my grandchildren.

18. teresa says:

i always remember him saying wave with one hand,now two…two hands and one foot..now two hands and both feet….how many of us were trying to do it and maybe even try to this day….thanks captain rip my friend

19. Myron Lee says:

Thanks Doug, you are such a great writer the way you make things real again. KELO and all the on the air people over the years have meant so much in my life. I still remember the night Kelo went on the air. I was invited to a school friends home because they had a 19 inch Zenith television and we watched the test pattern for about an hour before the actual sign on around 7pm I think. The first program was Dragnet and I was hooked forever. Before long I saved enought paper route money to buy us a 19 inch Zenith for $199.95 plus rabbit ears and we were in business at our home.
    Thanks for all the memories Doug and thanks for being my friend.

20. Charlie Smith says: