And The Creepy Uncle Award Goes To…

Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

A rough heart-wrenching few days on the gridiron for this old Norsky.

At least my misery wasn’t prolonged.

It became crystal clear within a matter of minutes that the Minnesota Vikings, (I can’t believe I’m saying this) WITHOUT Christian Ponder, had a prayer of advancing in the NFL playoffs against the Packers. I didn’t get mad, throw my nerf brick at the TV or curse even once; just schlumped down on the chair in profound disappointment, changed the channel and watched British comedy re-re-re-re-runs on PBS..quietly resolved that my team will never ever be in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I was still looking forward to Monday night, though; hoping the ghost of Knute Rockne had shown up before the Notre Dame Football team to deliver his famous pep talk which would then propel the Irish to victory over favored Alabama for the National Championship.

I stuck with this game a bit longer; knowing that they’re not called the “Fighting Irish” for nothing and, based on past come-from-behind victories, could turn the game around. Instead, it just got worse.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to change channels before seeing and hearing 73 year old veteran announcer, Brent Musburger, manage to creep out the television audience with his dirty old man routine in comments he made about the Alabama quarterback’s girlfriend sitting in the stands…eeew.

YouTube Preview Image

So, what am I to do until Nascar revs-up again late next month? ( I’m fully aware of the auto racing haters out there and all the unfair stereotypical comments they love to spew about rednecks driving fast and turning left but I like Nascar.)  It’s the only professional sport I think I might have been good at before I got too big to fit through the door window and developed a reasonable fear of being killed in a crash.

I suppose I’ll watch the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl but really don’t care which teams progress now that mine is out.  I’ve no real interest in the NBA unless Mike “Skinny” Miller gets a few playing minutes with Miami. I couldn’t care less about the National Hockey League taking to the ice again after that long silly strike that could have and probably should have ended the season. Sadly, I can’t get too worked up about the Minnesota Twins’ prospects for 2013 after that embarrassing debut season in their new stadium.

Gosh, I do seem a bit crabby today. Winters in Dakota can do that. At least Linda will be escaping into the warm sunshine soon. She leaves Saturday for Phoenix to spend a few days with her sister, Renee, and our desert daughter, Christy. Son James will be joining them from Oakland for the weekend.  She’ll be flying non-stop via Allegiant Air which advertises real tempting fares until you start counting up all the extras. But at least she won’t have to endure that long ride to Arizona by car..even if that car is Big Red (Our trusty high mileage old Lincoln Town Car) who has eagerly made the journey many  times but is now indicating some reluctance; need for a new battery and costly repairs for  a tiny leak in the air ride system.

So look out ladies, I’ll be batchin’ it next week.

Oops, I was channeling Brent Musburger there for a second; sorry.

1. Lynnal Nelson says:

So now, tell me WHY aren’t you going with her so you can enjoy some nice weather…….none of us want to think of you as crabby! Go along!!! it’s not like you have to stay home & work…………he he!!!

Al least Brent has moved on from just being a biased moron to a pervert. What a dope, he set back being a senior citizen at least ten years.
    Now when I saw that beautiful you gal…………….I thought I wonder what her grandma looks like. At least I kept in my age bracket.

3. Donn says:

I will join you in waiting for Nascar to start up. Its the same thing every winter. No decent sports to watch until they fire the engines.

4. Matt Hendrickson says:

Brent Musburger was the face of the NFL Today, College Football on ESPN/ABC, and now for dirty old men everywhere.

5. J.P. Skelly says:

I think it’s time for Brent to become a spectator. He had a good run but now it’s time to stand down. “You’re looking live at my rocking chair”.

Doug, all you need is a sunlamp and a pitcher of margaritas….Add a taco, and poof….you’re in Phoenix.

7. Hemmingsen says:

No Ricky Bobby NASCAR announcer would ever have said anything like that. I hadn’t heard the comment and was expecting something really rank, something Cossel-llike. That was it?! Even the lady says she thinks it was funny. But then I’m just a dirty 67 year old uncle.

8. Hemmingsen says:

But, at least it takes our minds off those minor diversions, like budding young psychos who have access to military weapons running around schools, theaters, schools, shopping malls, schools…you get the idea.

Wasn’t there a Brent Musberger story a few years ago having to do with ladies panties in a hotel room? That was it for me, as far as his announcing was concerned, and lately he’s become so blah that it’s almost as if he’s on “downers.”

And Steve, WELCOME BACK!!

10. Doug Lund says:

Sweeps.. That was noted NBA announcer, Marv Albert..fired by NBC in 1997 after a sex scandal. You can Google it for all the sleezy details if you want.
    As for Musberger’s comments. Well, when I heard him go on and on about what ravishing beauties both the quarterback’s girlfriend and mother were..then suggesting young boys practice hard to be a quarterback so they can get women like that..I just thought, like millions of others, that he should have been smart enough to know that such comments by an old guy about someone 50 years younger, would raise eyebrows and inspire blogs like mine.

My apologies to Mr. Musberger then, but I still get creeped out by his announcing. Thank you, Doug!

12. Hemmingsen says:

If I recall, Musberger was the first million dollar baby sports announcer when he jumped from CBS to ABC. Do you suppose this is being used as an excuse to send him packing. As Dan Rather said: “Sometimes there really are conspiracies. ESPN is part of ABC, corporately speaking.

13. Don says:

To All: Does no one remember “You Gotta Be a Football Hero” is a song written by Al Sherman, Buddy Fields and Al Lewis. It is one of the most widely recorded and performed American football anthems of all time. The song was written in 1933.

Pertinent lyric:

“You gotta be a football hero to get along with the beautiful girls.
    You gotta be a touchdown getter, you bet.
    If you wanna get a baby to pet.
    The fact that you’re rich or handsome won’t get you anything in curls,
    You gotta be a football hero to get along with the beautiful girls. “

14. Don J says:

On a positive note: Brent may be old, but his eyesight is still good