A-wop-bop-a-loo-mop-a-wop-bam-boom!

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

“Good Golly Miss Molly,” Little Richard is now 80.

little richard I thought that was a pretty clever line until I Googled Little Richard, in order to confiscate a recent picture of the rock and roll legend, only to find that lots of other writers had beaten me to it.

That’s the thing about the internet; you quickly learn that you’re not as smart..or clever..or at least not as original..as you thought you were. Anyway, I love Little Richard..well, you know, I really loved his musical talents..not his bazaar appearances and lifestyle choices which seemed to change every few years.

Little richard youngLittle Richard (Richard Penniman) and Pat Boone helped me, and millions of other Caucasian kids in the 50’s, clearly understand the difference between black and white..soul and..well, Lawrence Welkism. WhenPat Boone released his version of Little Richard’s Tutti Frutti, it was clearly a move by the record producers to “protect kids” from exposure to that evil N word music. It sort of worked in that Pat Boone’s version scored higher on the charts than Little Richard’s Tutti Frutti but we all knew which one we wanted to hear and, as Little Richard said, “The white kids would have Pat Boone upon the dresser and me in the drawer ‘cause they liked my version better, but the families didn’t want me because of the image that I was projecting.”

little richard pat booneDon’t get me wrong, I liked Pat Boone tunes too; Love Letters in the Sand, April Love, even Speedy Gonzales. I also had a pair of his trademark white buck shoes but the only soul he ever had on stage was when he sang for a Billy Graham Crusade altar call.

But I digress.

Linda and I finally made it to see Lincoln the other evening. There is no doubt, Daniel Day Lewis IS Abraham Lincoln. It was a marvel to witness.

Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln

Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln

Sally Field is totally convincing as Mary Todd. But, dare I say..after over two hours listening to men in dark rooms talking,  arguing and yelling..I started looking at my wrist watch.  One of my biggest complaints about going to the theater these days (you know you’re old when you say “these days”) is the apparent requirement to demonstrate the full fury of the movie house’s surround sound audio system even if there are only a dozen people in the audience. “Let’s see if we can’t loosen their fillings..heh, heh”  That was certainly not a concern during Lincoln. I was actually longing for a few hair raising explosions. The film takes place during the  Civil War after all and I guess I fully expected Steven Spielberg, one of the greatest action directors to ever hold a megaphone, to include a realistic battle scene or two.  Other than a quick shot of hand to hand combat in the opening credits and old Abe riding his horse through a body-ridden battlefield..what you get is wonderfully acted gab fests. Sure, the topic (passage by the house of representatives of the 13th amendment ending slavery) was a major milestone in our history, I just didn’t realize that was the singular message of the movie.

I’m fascinated by the Civil War and would have loved to see Daniel Day Lewis’ jaw dropping portrayal of our 16th president in a role that encompassed Lincoln’s entire time in the White House..not just that last couple of months. It would have been amazing to see Spielberg’s directing skills applied to recreating the realities and horrors of Civil War battles as he did in Saving Private Ryan and, with equal sensitivity, show how Lincoln somehow managed to deal with it all; the hundreds of thousands of casualties, the death of his young son, an emotional wreck of a wife, incompetent generals and, yes, the determination to free the slaves and above all  preserve the union.

That might make for an even longer movie but I’ll bet I wouldn’t be fighting back a yawn halfway through.

1. Doug Lund says:

hmmm..not one comment. Maybe this blog thing has run its course.

2. Josh Schroeder says:

I don’t think the blog idea has run it’s course. In fact I think it’s one of the best ways to get news. It’s just that the keloland website doesn’t feature the blogs very prominently. And you might want to be more focused, I didn’t get much of a segway between soul music and Lincoln, even though I’m sure there was something linking them in your head. Racial equality or something.

3. MJ says:

I have to agree with Josh. I like reading your blogs. Until today, I’ve never left a reply and today I’m leaving my second one. I also have to agree that your transition from Little Richard to Abe Lincoln was somewhat out in left field compared to your other blog writing. Now had you contrasted Steven Spielberg’s Abe Lincoln with Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter….that could have been rather entertaining. I never knew that Abe was a Vampire Hunter. They left that part out in school evidently. :)

4. Doug Lund says:

No subtle connection (with racial undertones) was intended between the two observations posted on the blog; I’m not that clever. I should not have used the phrase “But I digress..” (I guess) and just put a dotted line between the Little Richard birthday and the Lincoln to more accurately seperate the topics.

I really enjoy your blogs, whatever the topic(s), Doug. Sometimes I’m moved to reply, sometimes I’m not, doesn’t mean I don’t look forward to them. Please keep them coming!

6. Dan Plut says:

Two different topics. No big deal. The fact that you added comments about a recently viewed movie is not a problem at all. In fact, it gives all of us readers an idea of what one of us, and not a paid movie reviewer, feels about a currently running movie. One person defining a “focus problem” does not mean that there is one. Keep up the good work.

7. Doug A says:

Doug, You never fail to entertain or inform, I agree nice to have a person not in the industry in one form or the other review a movie. I wondered how that was going to work with the way the movie was advertised. I have a little brother in Alaska who had almost exactly the same on the film. He is a major history buff.
    Keep up the good work. Happy Holidays to all.

8. GMAX9 says:

Oh, Doug, you know we all love your blogs and would be devastated if you quit like that old Steve Hemmingsen did. Who would teach us about Norwegian culture and SD’s rock and roll history or take us to far flung places in the world if we didn’t have you to do it? The problem right now is that people are busy, busy, busy with shopping and hanging our Christmas lights and wrapping all those gifts that will save our economy and caroling and church and writing cards and all that other stuff. Don’t give up on your fans – we’re all still out here, we’re just darned busy right now.

Oh ya, and there wasn’t much controversial in what you posted this time to stir people up the way you sometimes do. Those are my favorite blogs.

Here’s wishing you and Linda a Merry Christmas filled with family, fun and faith.

9. Derrold says:

Doug, only my second reply back to you, but please keep blogs coming. Really enjoy your writing even if I might not be inetrested in each topic. I learn something from each of them. Thanks again and a Merry
    Christmas to you and Linda.

10. Patches says:

Noooo! Don’t stop the blogs please!! I agree wholeheartedly with what Sweeps and Derrold said. Sometimes just do not feel inclined to comment – for whatever the reason. It’s like Facebook, you need a “Like” button – a lot of people Like but don’t always comment on ones posts.

11. JeniW says:

I have not had a chance to read your comments until just now Doug, so don’t be discouraged.

I have not been to a movie in years, mostly because many of the movies contain so much violence. If I want to watch violence, I can do so by watching TV in the comfort of my home.

Sometimes doing a bit of exploring of events being re-enacted can make a difference. I think there is a group that re-enacts the civil war, and that information I think might be available from the Old Courthouse Museum. There is a lot of history at the Old Courthouse Museum, when you get a chance, and are interested, go for a visit.

I remember “Tutti Frutti” being sung by Little Richard, and then by Pat Boone. Both did well, but the original was the best. Pat’s singing it seemed “watered down” and lack the energy of Little Richard’s version.

Thanks for the memory Doug.

12. Ann says:

Yep, what GMAX9 said in her/his first paragraph. It’s just a busy time of year.

I know it must be tough to keep coming up with ideas for the blog and I think everyone would understand if you need a break – but please don’t take the lack of comments as a sign that it has run its course. You have lots of faithful readers, I am most definitely one of them.

Are there other bloggers that might want to get on a rotation system with you? Maybe that would take some pressure off and it might make it more fun. ?? Just a thought.

(Doug – this doesn’t need to appear in the comment section, just some food for thought.)

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

13. Tom says:

Merry Christmas Doug!

Please add my vote to continue your excellent blog!

I read and enjoy every one….ok…nearly every one…but seldom send a comment. I am certain many others match this user profile.

14. Carol says:

I for one love to log on to y our blogs and enjoy them all. PLEASE don;t quit as they are enjoyed by all