Place Of Mulberries

Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Greetings from steamy South Carolinia and lovely lake Keowee..a 26 mile long man-made body of water which was designed for use to keep 3 reactors in the the nearby nuclear power plant cool. (And no, it’s not a concern.)The two dams on the lake also generate electricity the old fashioned way..using gravity to spin turbines. The big beneficial by-product, of course, is this vast deep pure water lake shaped sort of like a Christmas tree with coves and islands and nary an empty lot along its 300 miles of shoreline.

Easy to get lost if you're a stranger in a boat.

Easy to get lost if you're a stranger in a boat.

Keowee  is Cherokee for “place of mulberries” although I’ve yet to see a mulberry and, believe me, I’ve had plenty of opportunities since I spent most of our two days on the golf course well OFF the fairways and deep in the woods hunting for balls that went sailing off my driver into the tall trees.

This is, what might be called, a Lund Brothers reunion since everybody here ..all 31 of us..are direct descendants of the three Lund boys. I know it may sound crazy but  it has actually been a joy to be around all these little kids; ten of them under the age of ten; most belonging to Tom and Ilene’s three offspring and their spouses who’ve provided a new grandchild a year for the last 9 years..with one more due in October.  This gathering has provided an opportunity for many of these cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles and aunts to meet  for the first time. It’s been remarkable how quickly everybody got aquainted so quickly and are getting along just “swimmingly.”

Tom and Ilene have a terrific roomy house but not enough to accommodate this big bunch so half of us are camping out in the vacant luxury home next door..just a mulberry bush away. The generous offer came from the new owners of the place who have yet to move in. The only conditions are that we please refrain from using the brand new beds and kitchen furnishings that have yet to be slept in or cooked on.  So we have procured several air mattresses for everyone which, ironically, are set up right alongside those expensive memory foam beds that have yet to accomodate a single soul. It’s been tempting..especially when there is an air mattress deflation issue during the night..but so far we’ve all resisted.

I know that viewing other people’s family photos can be as exciting as shopping for wallpaper but since the news from here is all about  eating, drinking, boating, skiing, laughing and bonding..it’s pretty much what  I have to offer until we jet back home later in the week where more heat awaits..but without the option of charging through the front door into the “pristine waters of Keowee Lake to cool off.

The view from Tom and Ilene's place down to the shore where a big boat and jet ski await to entertain you.

Linda makes her way down the semi-steep path to the lakeshore..easier descending than ascending for this fluffy guy.

I watched from the shade and others bobbed about in the tepid waters. That's my grandkids, Michael and Allison in the sun, great nephew Joey in the front and nephew Jayden on the right. Jay is our L.A. actor whose most recent appearance has been on HBO's True Blood.

Sort of looks like the closing scene from "Titanic" but, in this case, both the water and bodies are warm.

Each of these kids are just too precious for words. Linda holds 3 year old Josie while Caroline pulls the "I've got your nose" gag on Gracy Kay whose celebrated her 7th birthday during our get-together.

Each of these kids are just too precious for words. Linda holds 3 year old Josie while Caroline pulls the "I've got your nose" gag on Gracy Kay who celebrated her 7th birthday during our get-together.

5 year old Addy just came in to see what I was dong and wondered if I was going to put in a picture of her...so, of course I am.

5 year old Addy just came in to see what I was doing and wondered if Uncle Doug was going to put in a picture of her...so, of course I am.

maryPS. Linda’s mom..our beloved “Mother Mary”…doesn’t have long for this world. She’s in Hospice care at the nursing home in Alcester..her hometown for all of her 88 years. It’s been tough for Linda being so far away during this difficult time but she’s been such a trooper making sure her anxiety doesn’t show  as we celebrate this Lund reunion with frivolity, food and foolishness.

PSS: Tuesday July 24th: Just received news that Mother Mary passed away during the night. We’ve changed our flight schedule and will be heading for South Dakota early Wednesday morning. As you know, Linda figures prominently in my writings here. She wanted me to thank all of you..friends and strangers alike..who have always expressed support for her wheather it’s for just putting up with a lug like me or during times of anxiety and grief like now. Bless you.

What a lovely blog, Doug, and my prayers go to you and Linda as you await word from Mother Mary. Our family will be “re-uning” in Elk Point in just a couple weeks, and we’re expecting 70 or so. Can’t wait! We’re actually having a memorial service for those of our family who have passed on in the last two years to give those of us unable to attend the services some closure. Lots of Lut’ran singin’ and harmonizin’!

2. PJ says:

I have known Mary (having grown up in Alcester also) most of my life and have more than one special memory of her. My prayers go out to all of the Trudeau clan and may all the memories be happy ones. Family is so special.

3. fsl says:

Have a good time Doug..good luck looking for mulberries. You know they grow also in south central SDak. Living in Hutchinson Co years ago, our toddler daughter ate them as fast as she could pick them up = purple everything includ.purple diapers (cloth then) ! They are yummy.
    Enjoy the families ! ~fsl.

4. Joanie says:

O these pictures look so familiar!! Wish we were there with you this time too! Well maybe not THIS time but some time again in the future! Miss you guys!

5. Deb says:

HELLO DOUG, I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY YOUR FAMILYS REUNION.TRY TO STAY COOL.LINDA ,YOU AND HER WHOLE FAMILY ARE IN MY PRAYERS DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME.GOD BLESS HER MOTHER.TAKE CARE.

6. Pat K says:

Doug…your blog was esp. good today…enjoyed seeing your nephew, the actor, in a picture…my youngest daughter went to SDSU with him and was in theater with him. A reunion such as you had is a good thing and we in my family reunied at a great-neices wedding recently. those are the fun times as we journey into our twilight years. Keeping you and Linda in my thoughts and prayers.
    a friend from LP

7. Brenda says:

FINALLY!!! I have been waiting to see what I unfortunately had to miss. What a glorious place, and B E A U T I F U L kids!! Love and miss all of you.
    Mother Mary, my grandma, our matriarch. She is the glue, the core, the needle and thread for our family. She kept us all held together and could fix our pains, tears and “ouchies” no matter what. From her kids, her grandkids, her great grandkids and her great great grandaughter her prayers were given to all every day. She has always been the rock in my life and that will never change. I can only strive every day to carry on in a way that would make her proud to call me her granddaughter. God has been especially generous with the length of time he has shared her with us. It is never long enough because our love for her is so very deep, but she won’t be but a prayer away, I can smile through my tears at all the crazy loving memories she has blessed me with. Forever and always my angel, my Grandma.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen if the fish glow in the dark yet! Have you seen any fish? I have a money making idea for you….Find out the brand name of the air mattress you’re sleeping on….Then offer to do a product endorsement! The last time I slept on an air mattress was 40 years ago in the Army National Guard. Didn’t like it then….and I’m darned sure I wouldn’t like it now. Plus getting up off the floor could take hours. I’m really dying to hear more about your air mattress adventure. Next time, schedule the family reunion at Lake Goldsmith….it’s good enough to have a fine wine named after it! What could go wrong?

Given the potential radioactivity of that lake, it might be wise to check and see if Tom is sprouting a dorsal fin!

10. Brenda Sebern says:

Brenda, your message is beautiful, like you. Crazy Loving Memories!!

My prayers and thoughts to all of those who were touched so sweetly by Mary’s presence and love. Her strength, steadfast faith, unconditional love, humility, and not-so-subtle humor will always be imprinted on my heart. What on earth will we do without her pie and coffee!!

As the angels welcome her into their loving arms, no doubt she has already pulled up a chair and is dealing the cards.

May we be blessed with the grace of her spirit.

With love and gratitude to my family of the heart, Brenda

11. Lynnal Nelson says:

Sincere sympathy to Linda & all of you as you remember all the good times had with Mom! Thanks Doug for the blog……..we so enjoy reading each of them. Memories are treasured things!

12. Denny says:

Doug, I was really envious to see that beautiful setting at Tom & Ilene’s. That was such a great time. Lake Keowee is soooo beautiful. So very sorry to hear about Mary. I just feel so sad, and have been thinking about you guys every day. We’ll see you soon. P.S. I told all the golf guys about your loss. And by the way, the Brandon guys beat the Garritson bunch. Lunch never tasted so good! Later, Denny.

13. Judy Magnus says:

I send you my sympathy. Moms create many memories for their family, and with eight children there are lots of them. Enjoy those and God bless.

14. Bert says:

I send you and your wife my sympathies. Always remember the great times you got to spend with her.

15. Paula B says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with Linda and all of you. We are sorry for your loss. May all the wonderful memories help you all through this difficult time.