Thanksgiving Thoughts

Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 10:48 am

“Doug?” came Linda’s voice from just outside the front door.

“Yes, my dear, what can I do for you on this lovely Thanksgiving morning?”

“Get out here and help me haul in the paper.”

Oh, I might have made a little bit of that conversation up but only to dramatize the size of today’s Argus filled with Black Friday ads. The poor delivery kid’s weighted-down car made sparks in the pre-dawn darkness as it scraped the drive-way backing out. Leave it to retailers and ad men to turn what used to be a joyous time of Thanksgiving with family, food and football, into a mere prelude to the more important event in which people, wild for Christmas gift bargains, will go without sleep to plan and carry out a shopping strategy that will put them toward the front of the frenzied pack bursting through store’s front doors in the wee hours of Friday.

thanksgiving_turkey

It wasn’t our turn to host Thanksgiving this year but I really don’t mind when it is. I love the challenge of putting the menu together then trying to coordinate everything so it’s ready when our 25 guests (mostly Linda’s family) arrive. As our huge bird was browning in the oven last year, I was on the internet watching videos of how to properly carve a turkey. It worked out great; much better than the hack jobs from years past. I love the way our little house smells when the loaded-down oven is filled with food cooking away; the oak table that came from my folks, is pulled out to the max so three leaves will fit in; the windows steam over because of all  the moisture escaping  from the big pot of potatoes bubbling awayon the stove. Time to get ready.. I love the way Linda looks when she emerges from the bedroom in her holiday attire and basking in the aroma of Red Door..my favorite perfume. I love the popping sound a cork makes when it’s freed from a bottle of pinot noir and the clink of our glasses as we drink a toast to the holiday and each other. I love it when people start showing up bearing even more food for the occasion. I love hearing the “Happy Thanksgivings” and experiencing the hugs..especially from grandkids most of whom graduated from the kid’s table years ago.

No, we’re heading across town for Thanksgiving this year to a much bigger house filled with the same folks we care so much about and are so thankful for. Linda is bringing a blueberry salad and I’m making “Doug’s corn”..which is nothing more than canned corn mixed with eggs,Jiffy corn muffin mix, canned onion rings on top and baked in the oven. I made it for a Trudeau gathering when Linda and I were first married and I think her family was so shocked at a Norwegian man in the kitchen they keep asking for it so I won’t feel bad. Oh, they say they like it but they’re nice people. So, with stomachs growling we’ll stand together and offer up prayers of gratitude and then dig in.

Linda and I send to you our best wishes for a most happy holiday and be sure to yell out a “hello” when you see us in the early Friday  morning black madness that is the mall.

NOT.

1. Gary says:

Happy Thanksgiving, Thanks for taking time to write your blogs you might be surprised how many people are waiting for the next one.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, do you have my address to deliver leftovers? Cam

3. Jack Schmieder says:

Well stated!

Hmmmmm…..not even one mention of Lutefisk, Lefse, or Krumkaka….I guess if I were invited to thanksgiving dinner….I’d like to go to Grouse’s place…I know what he’ll have. A REAL Thanksgiving with all of the above and more…probably some søtsuppe too…
    Hilsen på takkebønn dag—Doug, Linda and your families fra de gammel Norsk–Per Pål

Happy Thanksgiving, Doug and Linda! I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning greeting visitors at Christmas at the Capitol, then came home and put my turkey breast in the oven. All the sides (except the unnecessary mashed potatoes) awaited their turn while the bird rested. I wish all of you the most grateful of Thanksgivings! As for me, I’m grateful to be a one year cancer survivor and for my support team. If you find yourselves with a “free” day, drive to Pierre for the Capitol Christmas Trees. I promise you won’t be disappointed!

Yo Per Pal….Today was a late traveling day for us so that we could sleep in and celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow with our daughter, son-in -law and the world’s most well behaved, beautiful, and we like to think articulate, 4 month old grand daughter in Kansas City. And yes Per Pal, there will be lutefisk, and lefse and turkey and dressing with mashed potatoes plus lots of other stuff that just gets in the way of lutefisk and lefse. You’ll have to set the alarm and get here on time, because there will be plenty and you’re always welcome!! I even put a bottle of aquavet in the trunk and rushed it to the freezer as soon as I got here. It should be ready by noon. There will also be some nice white wine that really goes will with fish and poultry. Happy Tak day!

7. Michael says:

Canned Corn?! What happened to all that sweet corn you bagged and froze last August? You didn’t save any for your hot dish?

8. john mogen says:

Needing lefse? Got some with your name on it (spelled out on the little brown dots!)

9. Charlie Smith says:

Doug’s corn sounds interesting. Sounds like it needs butter. Recipe?