A Decade of Remembrance

Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

sept 11 logo

Much to my surprise, I have been watching many of the TV specials recounting the attacks on America ten years ago. Surprising because, until now, I just couldn’t bear to watch those planes slamming into the twin towers knowing that hundreds of people were suddenly obliterated from this earth..or worse yet, thousands more were to suffer the agony of being  trapped inside only to perish when the burning buildings collapsed into  enormous piles of twisted steel and dust.  I have even watched the rarely shown images of those facing death by fire making the incomprehensible decision to jump from the windows instead; some holding hands with co-workers as they fell so as not to die alone. I have made myself listen to the recordings of radio traffic between firefighters on their fatal mission into the World Trade Center to save others or watch interviews with victim’s family members as they recount their last desperate phone calls from loved ones in the doomed buildings or aircraft.

What’s changed?

I’m not sure. Perhaps it’s the fact that we finally got bin Laden. Maybe it’s because a new World Trade Center at the same location is soaring skyward like a giant middle finger to the terrorists. Or perhaps it’s something as basic as “time heals all wounds.”  Sadly, though, just as I have found it easier to face the sad realities of that awful day, Americans in general have managed to drift away from the oneness that tragedy inspired. We’ve grown comfortable again with yelling and screaming at each other whether it be from a political podium or at a fellow motorist who doesn’t measure up to our driving standards. Greed and garishness are back in fashion; flag waving..not so much.

It seems to me that the best way to honor the memory of those who died on 9/11 would be to rekindle the feelings we had on 9/12; when we put aside our differences realizing our strength is in our unity and those who believe otherwise eventually learn that lesson the hard way.

On the day following the attacks, newspaper columnist, Leonard Pitts wrote a column which we recorded for the newscast that night on Keloland TV. I offer it up for you to see once again here..NOT because I’m the guy reading the report but because Pitts so brilliantly summed up the feelings of an entire nation with  his well chosen words that are equally as powerful today. click here

1. Paul says:

I hope everyone watchs this again and listens to the words.

2. Linda says:

Thank you Doug. I printed this off the day Leonard Pitts published it, remembered you reading it and have I have re-read several myself times over the last ten years. It has special meaning for me this year, because on this anniversary of that day, my son, a Major in the United Sates Air Force is currently serving in Afghanistan, as a NATO advisor to the Afghan National Army, helping the Afghan people to finally get rid of the Taliban who hijacked their country and harbored the terrorists that perpetuated this unspeakable deed. This war has gone on for 10 years now. Hopefully will not go on another 10, but I know that my son and people like him serving in all branches of the military are dedicated and putting their lives on the line to make sure that we beat the terrorists and assure that nothing like this will ever happen again. Your old friend Linda from Lake Campbell.

3. prairierose says:

Normally, I can put a space between seeing tragedy and taking an emotional ‘hit’. Ten Years ago I couldn’t do that and Today I couldn’t either. The courage of the responders plus the distraught look in the eyes of the survivors overshadowed by the deaths of innocence, smells of jet fuel and dusty smoke destroyed my empathetic barricade and the tears came.
    Thank you for including the reading of the Leonard Pitts’ article. He is brillant.

One of the saddest results of that day, was that the first responders have had to fight for monetary help in dealing with their wounds, physical and mental. It’s even sadder the way we treat veterans of all wars. We glorify these wonderful souls this day…but when the rubber actually hits the road…we let the politicians and bureaucrats and greedy insurance companies dictate how poorly we serve these gallant souls in return. I for one am nauseated when someone who didn’t serve will jump up and state, “thank you for your service”. These are usually the well off sons and daughters of the well heeled who never gave serving their country, in any way shape or form, a second thought. Money talks, real patriotism walks. If they are lucky.

5. Jan says:

Thank You for sharing this again! Ten years ago it made me sit up straight and remember why I am PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! It did it again today. Thanks Doug! Thank you to all who serve to protect this Wonderful Country – military, emt’s, fireman, police and the MANY people who jump out and help when help is needed! That is why our country is different!

6. Brenda says:

Thank you again for sharing Mr Pitts emotional message. It strikes just as strong today as it did ten years ago. My middle child was 12 when the tragedy happened. Ten years later at the age of 22 he is fighting the cause which still rages on in Afghanistan. THANK YOU SON, and THANK YOU to each and every person who has/is serving our country, whether it is USMC like my son, or Army, Navy, Air Force or a branch of the Guard. You are all hero’s to me.

7. RDL says:

Grouse I went on Honer Fight # 6. In Washington DC It was the young kids and military servive people who came up to us veterans and said, “

8. RDL says:

Sorry I hit the wrong button before I finished and check my spelling.[ service people]

said, ” THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE “

Hi RDL….You missed my point. When young kids and military service people say “Thank you for your Service”….I agree and will SHOUT it out with them! It’s when phony politicians and CEO’s and others who HAD the OPPORTUNITY to SERVE and DIDN’T, and others who gain FINANCIALLY AND POLITICALLY from the heroism of brave young men and women who gave their last breath or several years of their lives for their country and will have nothing to show for it, then I object. Where are the Donald Trumps, the Barack Obamas, the Newt Gingrich’s , the John Thune’s and the Kelby’s from Sanford etc. etc.? RDL, if you served in the military in any way shape or form….Then you deserve a big salute from everyone mentioned above. If you didn’t and are young enough…the recruiter is just down the street.

10. JD says:

Grouse – One of my combat tours had unanticipated and long-lasting consequences from which I’m pretty much recovered. I avoid conversations about my military service because I find it awkward when others feel obligated to tell me why they DIDN’T serve. I dislike making those people feel uncomfortable (their discomfort often shows in the reasons they offer for their non-service). I honestly do not care to know why someone chose not to serve. I am silently proud to have had an opportunity to serve our country. Romans 13 advises us to respect and obey those who have been placed in authority; Jeremian 48:10 cautions us not to withhold the sword; and finally Luke 17 reminds us that we are unworthy servants who have only done our duty.

11. Mary D says:

Grouse….you are right. It always has been a rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight. The middle class sons and daughters are doing the fighting. When the wealthy beat down the middle class, who will fight their wars for oil and protect their wealth. It won’t happen today, or tomorrow, but if the very wealthly continue their greed, they will lose their freedom because someday they will be living in gated communities and have to hire guards to protect them.

12. Michael says:

Very often it is the Chicken Hawks, like Dick Cheney, who send our military men and women off to die.