There Is No God

Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, I figured that headline might get your attention just as it got mine Sunday night as at least six TV channels (including Discovery, Science, Animal Planet and The Learning Channel) all simulcast the same program in Disovery’s “Curiosity” series. The premier episode was titled “Did God Create the Universe?”

hawking

In it, the man considered by many to be the world’s greatest mind since Einstein, Steven Hawking, sat in his wheelchair and stared right into the camera while his computer-generated voice said that not only is there no supreme being but there is no afterlife. He says it’s a fairy tale for those afraid of the dark. Hawking, who has lived much of his life battling a deadly neurological disease which has left him withered and confined to a wheel chair, bases his conclusions on years of studying the universe which he now says was created by an enormous black hole where time doesn’t exist. Therefore, he says, in a place where there is no beginning or end, the universe spontaneously created itself; The big bang simply happened out of the blue..or should I say out of the black.

That’s quite a leap even for Hawking who in the past has had to re-think a couple of his other black hole theories.

It was pretty clear going into the program that those who believe in God or a higher power (over 90 percent of us) were going to come out on the short end of the scientific stick when it kept referring to the church’s long history of persecuting early astrologers like Galileo; attempting to squash any form of scientific experimentation of the cosmos which contradicted biblical accounts of creation.

As far as I know, the church doesn’t try to jail or behead astrophysicists for heresy anymore. Religion and science may still be worlds apart on many important issues (evolution) but scientists, for the most part, have been careful not to intentionally ruffle the feathers of believers because they still can’t explain the greatest mystery of all time; how did the universe begin?

I’m afraid I fall into that crack of Christians who have a hard time accepting everything in the Bible as fact. Sorry, but there it is. The Old Testament, especially, is loaded with symbolism and stories that challenge our sense of reality; The Earth’s age, Adam and Eve, Noah’s Ark, miracles of the Exodus etc. How can we, through blind faith, deny archeological evidence of our planets 4 billion year history? A planet that was once home to all sorts of strange and exotic creatures great and small that roamed about the earth millions of years before us?

What I DO believe, though, is that there are laws of nature and one of them is that everything has a beginning. It has to start somewhere; and, to me, it is easier to believe that “In the beginning, it was God, who created the heavens and the earth,” than it is to accept Dr. Hawking’s theory that the universe simply created itself.

Of course, we’ll all know the truth soon enough, but I think, unlike Steven Hawking, our minds are more than computers which will just shut off when we die. I believe there has to be a reason that we, unlike any other living thing, have been given a spark; the power of consciousness; the ability to think and reason; to love, hope, dream and be curious about the universe..and, yes, to worship.

Dr. Hawking has apparently never had an encounter with someone of faith who has witnessed or personally experienced a divine intervention in their lives or has had a glimpse of heaven after a close call with death. He has never met anyone who has seen a ghost because there are no such things. If he is right than we are simply freaks of nature and when our time’s up the light is switched off and it’s nighty night forever.

Now that Hawking is on record and making headlines as the world’s most noted atheist,  I do think it’s time for church’s to face up to some of these questions concerning biblical interpretation and scientific facts.

I’m pretty sure that the God who masterminded all creation can probably stand up to the examination and ace the test.

1. Joe Rutten says:

Doug,

You have provided a good reflection on the subject. Faith and Reason are compatible and one shouldn’t be afraid of the other. The false impression is made that the Church (Catholic) has been against science for the last 2000 years and this simply is not true. One example amongst many is George Lematre who proposed the BIG BANG THEORY, he was a Catholic Priest!

I believe Hawking is actually irrational, as well as the Creationists that believe the world was created 6000 years ago in 6 literal days. Reason tells us that everything comes from something, I would say Hawking would be better to propose an eternal substance than to say that the universe is the result of a black hole where time doesn’t exist.

An important distinction in the discussion is that your premise must be that “All created things have a beginning”, not “everything has a beginning”, b/c God is a thing if you will, but he is not created. God is the eternal being that is the source of all that is created.

The secret in the Atheistic world is that the Catholic Church is actually on board with the scientific community in regards to much of evolutionary theory (See comments by JPII and Pius XII on evolution). The Church simply holds that Science can’t make certainty claims about subject matter that is not within its field of authority.

2. Daniel johnson says:

First we need to separate what the Bible states and what people claim it states. We also have to separate its theology from its history. In addition it is important to understand that ancient people were much more given to metaphors and similes than current ways of expression. Jesus for example, would often challenge the Priesthood in their interpretation of God’s will. No doubt the ending of the ice age which according to science only took 40 years produced enormous floods which was remembered in the folklore all over the world and its telling predates the Bible in clay tablets . The core teaching of the Bible remains consistant in both the Old and New testament.

Daniel is correct. When we read the book of Genesis and other Old and New Testament books, we should marvel at their accuracy! Biblical books weren’t written only for us, but for inhabitants of our world who lived centuries before us with no knowledge of today’s discoveries and scientific terms. We are now in the 21st century AD and the writing still holds up. An undisputed genius such as Hawking, in all of his smartness is just now in his old, bitter age making a statement. Yet, he only goes so far back. Genesis makes the point that “In the beginning God, created the heavens (including the black hole) and the earth.
    All Hawking needs is an invite to a good old fashioned Lutheran Church lutefisk supper with lefse, mashed potatoes, rommegrot and lots of Lutheran ladies ready to fill him in on what’s what. This is most certainly true.
    The men of the church will have a few snorts of akevet later with him. Oh the sights he’ll see and the places he’ll go!

4. Kaye says:

Hi Doug,
    There is going to be an evangelistic meeting October 23, 2011 at the Sioux Falls Holiday Express Inns and Suites. It is going to be conducted by Pastor Don Johnson of the Seventh Day Adventist church. This would be a good place to ask questions about creation, is the Bible true, etc. This could be some very interesting discussions.

5. BigJohnSmall says:

I’m sad to read this… I read his book “A Brief History In Time” and it gave me a headache. ;o)

It takes more faith to be an Athiest!! If you’re wrong… you go to hell forever!!! If I’m wrong (as a Christian) nothing happens.

I’d say it’s easier to believe in God than to believe that we were all part of a big accidental explosion in space that put the exact amounts of every element needed to create life (which we can not recreate in a lab with Hawking’s smart scientist friends)

If he wants to believe that… he will. No one else can make him change his mind. I hope for his sake that he will find the answer.

I have seen so many miracles in my lifetime. I have NO DOUBT that God exists. Many people that tried to prove otherwise have become believers too. I hope Mr. Hawking has time to discover the truth too.

6. Thor says:

Ha. I knew it all along. I didn’t even need one of the smartest brains in the world to point it out, but it sure doesn’t hurt.

I hope you’ll “google in” “Creation in Symphony”…featuring Dr. Carl M Baugh…
    As it says..”.Dr. Baugh presents astounding facts about your past, present and future in conjunction with the Biblical Record…and provides some concrete scientific evidence that secular science has overlooked and has trouble disproving.” It’s an amazing book…and also available in CD and Video. Check it out…see what you think.

Per Pål P

8. C.M,. says:

An invisible power that lives in the sky ? Nobody has ever seen it, or
    talked to it ? And, it will smite you with lightning bolts & fire if
    you make it mad and don’t follow its rules ? Sentence you to a life in
    a non-existant place called hell ?
    Sounds alot like a SiFi movie . Alot. And, maybe even a little like a
    fairy tale. But, not something you’d base your everyday life on.
    Not much differant than the tooth fairy, easter bunny, santa claus,
    4 leaf clovers, or lucky rabbits foot stuff. NONE of those are real.
    But, theres a zillion written stories about them all !

9. Kimberlie says:

All I know is that I was raised to believe and I do. So, all I can say is simply this; I would rather live my life believing there is a God and die to find out there isn’t than to live it believing there isn’t and die to find out there is.

10. Tim says:

Why so much hype about this guy’s opinion?

Much of this issue is based on the premise that Science and Faith In God are at odds. Evidently this guy never considered the possibility that if God did create the world and everything in it – then God created Science! Scripture tells us that God gave us everything we need. The sad part is that some of human kind are bent on playing God – bent on re-inventing what we need – bent on trying to fix what they think is “wrong”.

God gave us science, along with everything else, so that we could better make use of his gifts and provision for us. It is my opinion that humans experience more of full and satisfying life when they seek God’s wisdom in utilizing and sharing the gifts we have been given.

As far as the big bang theory and the theory of evolution – they are just theories. For example, if the world was accidentally created by a big bang – “what caused the bang and why didn’t the bang keep banging?” As for evolution, “if we evolved from Apes, they why did we stop evolving?”

If you study the history of humankind you will find that the same basic human vices and faults were as prevalent then as they are now. Sure, we may change how we dress, how we live, what we do, how we work, how we do or do not get along with our fellow human – but underneath it all greed, jealousy, envy, prejudice, and persecution of those perceived to be different/lessor than ourselves are some of the underlying faults of humans of all time as we know it.

To paraphrase Bob Dylan, God created the world and everything in it, mankind tried to re-invent the world and themselves and blew themselves up. In the end, there was God.

AMEN to Kimberlie!!

12. jeff says:

do you want to know the odds of what stepen hawking has to say on the black hole theory is its probaly a 1 followed by 30 zeros of ever happing that way, and it also takes more faith to be an atheist then it takes to believe in god

13. Michael says:

“As for evolution, if we evolved from apes, why did we stop evolving?”

We haven’t stopped evolving, Tim, it’s just that it usually takes a long time for changes to occur. Not something that we always observe in our lifetimes. The evidence is still there. Ever wonder why most of us need to have our third molars (wisdom teeth) removed? As our diets have changed over time, we don’t need them anymore. Our mouths have grown smaller and eventually, our third molars will just stop growing in at all (putting most oral surgeons out of work). Ever wonder why antibiotics stop working and we have to find new ones? Uh, that would be evolution, too.

Oh and by the way, gravity is just a “theory,” too.

14. Tim says:

Michael, you are talking about evolution as the on-going process of change that takes place naturally and about our diet’s impact on our physical being. The latter change can be good or bad depending on our choices.

Unfortunately. big business is flooding the market with things that are unhealthy – processed food, sugar, flour, margarine, diet foods, food out of a box, fast food, and the list goes on. I know a guy who has had a Big Mac on his desk for 15 years – it still looks like it did then. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research – When our bodies don’t know what to do with the “garbage” we eat, some is eliminated, but unfortunately a lot of it is stored in fat. Have you ever wondered why we have more health problems today than people did a hundred years ago – consider the fact that heart disease, diabetes, stroke, breathing related problems, and over-weight issues are killing us off at a younger age than in the past.

I was talking about evolution as a theory that human kind evolved from Ape to human. If that is true, why do we still have Apes? If that is true, why are the same basic vices of humans evident today that were evident 2, 4, 6, maybe 10 thousand years ago?

A couple thousand years ago and before, human logic determined that the earth was flat. Now we know that isn’t true. Logic has it’s place – it is meant to intersect with faith. We are given ‘Faith in our Creator’ that we might know that what we can trust in God when things don’t make sense. For example, logic tells us that anything multiplied by zero is zero, yet using algebra – if you multiply an equation out far enough, you can get to a point where a symbol for zero is multiplied and there is a result greater than zero.

What logic can’t explain is why or how humanity actually does change when people truly live a faith in God. All of society’s problems could be solved if everyone was honest about living a life of faith. However. as G.K. Chesterton pointed out, Christianity has yet to be honestly and fully tried (paraphrase).

Have a nice day

15. Michael says:

Talking in circles doesn’t change reality, Tim. And a Big Mac sitting on your desk unchanged for a thousand years doesn’t prove or disprove anything with regard to evolution. I’ll stick with Hawking–and the 99% of the world’s scientists who agree with him.

16. Kerri says:

I am so with Kimberlie. God said “If you believe you will be saved”. I would rather believe than parish. People dont want to believe because they dont want to be judged by the one who created us. So its better for them to not believe that way they are not accountable to anyone but themselves which in the end they will all parish, non believers. Thats why God said to pray for those who do not believe that they will come to a better understand and a true relationship with Christ. If you believe you will hear His audiable voice and the leading of the Holy Spirit. It all comes down to being and feeling convicted. If you dont want to be convicted, dont belive, but Christians are everywhere and they WILL pray for you to believe. The time is near for Christ second coming, your belief is in your hands. May all who read this be blessed in Christ Jesus and BELIEVE!

17. jackrabit1 says:

Atheists are more intelligent, more enlightened, and more open-minded than other people. And if you don’t believe that, ask an atheist yourself. They’ll tell you how much more intelligent, enlightened and open-minded they are than you.

18. Another Michael says:

Michael, you’re still missing the point. There’s a difference between Micro-evolution (which most churches accept as legitimate) and macro-evolution (the development of an entirely different species). On the latter, you’ll have a hard time convincing most Christians.

Ever look around the world and wonder where everything came from? How it started? It had to start somewhere, didn’t it?

19. tiggerdivine says:

I agree with Kerri! I am saved and I believe. It is so much easier to believe than to denie the Holy One! I am a Christian and I pray for those who don’t believe that one day you will. I don’t deam anyone to be damned, but pray for those that they will one day believe, I just hope that it don’t take anything bad for those that don’t believe to start believing.

20. SD Athiest says:

It’s more believable that a guy in the sky created everything more than the theory that it created itself? Then where did the creator in the sky come from? Did he create himself?

Yah! That’s more believable. *sarcasm*

21. joshua says:

Science cannot prove there is no God any more than a Christian fundamentalist can prove that evolution isn’t true. Atheists need evolution to be true, so they go to great lengths to “prove” it, although they can’t using the scientific method, which involves observation and testing. As has been said in other posts here, it cannot be observed because it supposedly takes place over long periods of time, more than any scientist’s lifetime. Even if evolution is proven to be true, it doesn’t mean God didn’t use evolution as a creative process. If the big bang theory is true, that means Genesis is correct, and light came first – before the sun was created. How could the ancient Hebrews have known that without divine inspiration? Why are atheists trying to “prove” that there isn’t a God anyway? Why are they so threatened by something they don’t even believe in? I don’t believe in Santa, so his image doesn’t offend me. I don’t sue the city for putting his image up on public property. I don’t go to great lengths to scientifically prove he doesn’t exist. Atheists are more than likely trying very hard to prove to themselves that God doesn’t exist, because they are afraid that He does.

22. Brad says:

If God does not exist , why do bad things happen when people turn there backs on Him? We take God out of schools and look what happens to our schools. We take God out of America , and look what is going on in America. God is supreme , and our creator , until we figure that out and turn to him , America and the rest of the world will continue to struggle! Believing in God alone will not get you to Heaven , but by having a personal relationship with Him , praying and confessing our sins and we will be saved!!

23. Adam says:

I have been on both sides of this argument. I was raised a Christian, attending church and bible study 3 or 4 times a week for the first 25 years of my life. Then…I started having thoughts and questions… After nearly 10 years of thought provoking investigation and education, I declared myself to be, at first, an agnostic and as time went on, a full blown atheist. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I truly wish I could believe in a god. The world would be a much better place but I just can’t force myself to believe in something that I know in my heart isn’t true. Much the same way a resonable adult can’t make themselves believe in Santa Claus.

I don’t lay awake at night, wondering if I’m wrong and risking eternal damnation (although that was the last hurdle I had to overcome on my way to atheism) instead what worries me is the constant onslaught of religion in our school system, courtrooms and government.

24. howsitgoinn says:

with all due respect to special needs people, .. I personally would not follow Steven Hawkins lead if I was looking for an outhouse in an open field. .. if he finds his happy place in a black hole someplace that is his choice. … I will put my faith in the Lord my God and his Son Jesus Christ.

life is good.