Oh, What A Night!

Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

mob

I don’t mean to put too fine a point on it but for someone who works at  and worries about finding  just the right words to describe things I have experienced, none seem adequate enough today to explain the thrilling sensation I..and about 15 hundred other fans of old time Rock and Roll..enjoyed at the Ramkota Exhibit Hall last Saturday night.  This was the third annual induction ceremony for the South Dakota Rock and Roll Music Association Hall of Fame. This year, ALL of the musical groups inducted actually got back together and performed on the huge stage just like they did thirty or more years ago. Fans started pouring through the doors just after they opened at 4:30. The Jadesmen, who were inducted in 2009, were the house band..followed by Arlie’s All Stars who entertained the crowd for the next half hour and were recognized for the concerts they’ve done raising nearly three quarter of a million dollars for charity. Every band that followed were simply terrific; The Torres, The X-Men, DD and the Fayrohs, The Shattoes, Steve Ellis and the Starfires, Don Robar and the Monarchs, The Pulsating Pilgrims and, of course The Mob.

Ron Nelson, whose group, The Cavaliers, was inducted last year, took some marvelous photographs of the evening which you can see by CLICKING HERE.

It’s an honor to sit on the board of directors of the South Dakota Music Association Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Myron Lee, John Mogen, Mark Aspaas, Rick Knobe,  Terry Tausz and Don Fritz whose love of old time Rock and Roll and vision for a hall of fame, made the whole event possible.

Until next year: Rock On!

Doug, great story and pictures. We were out of town and hated to miss it. Cam & Sharon Lind

2. Mike H says:

I was out there about 3:15 to get a book from Chris Harper, which he had already sold out on Friday night! Next year Deb and I are planning on coming for the whole evening. I am still trying to get over the fact I saw the Fabulous Flippers this year! Thank you for the work all of you do on this wonderful project. Be well my friend!

3. Dave says:

Doug, I have fond memories of “The Mob.” I saw them at a midnight show in Las Vegas in 1970. They were wild and great! I had no idea they had South Dakota connections.

It was a fantastic evening!! Every band rocked the joint!! And old cuz….You did a great job emceeing the whole deal! I was proud of you…Clarence and Esther, Harry and Gladys would have been proud and would have enjoyed the whole deal too!! Rock and Roll is here to stay!!

I just saw Ron Nelson’s photos, and they are first class! Ron is a super photographer and one helluva nice guy. If you need professional photos done….take the drive to Lake Preston….You’ll be thrilled! He did my daughter’s graduation pictures and we are thrilled years later!

6. Sandy says:

Where did you see the Flippers. I grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota, and used to go see them and the Uglies when I was in high school. Would love to see them again

7. jeff says:

Awesome night! Was just a small kid and never got to see the Pilgrims play in their day, so it was fun to hear the music and put faces with all of the stories I’ve heard through the years. They might not have made the list above, but I thought they were terrific as well.

Funny how so many of the band members talked of not picking up an instrument or singing for years and then watching them take into the music as if they had never quit.

Great job and thanks again to everyone for their efforts in giving us a great night of memories and music.

8. Doug Lund says:

Oh my gosh, Jeff..How could I have forgotten The Pilgrims?? Not intentional, I assure you. I have made the correction on the blog. They were absolutely OUTSTANDING Saturday night!

9. jeff says:

Oh no sweat Doug, I am guessing that between keeping that show rolling and all of the work that went into it, that you were even more tired than some of the 70 year old rockers up there.

Oh what a night is right. Now, could you give a well deserved shameless plug for how we can buy a DVD of the evening? I even want to throw in a pitch to visit the Hall of Fame at the Pavilion and keep this happening for years to come.