Taylor’s War

Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

The war in Iraq must be all but over since we don’t hear much about it on the nightly news any more. We still have about 40-thousand American troops over there but the main mission now appears to be propping up a shaky Iraqi army and government so we can clean up our mess and get the heck out of there in 2012; 9 years after we first went in. In recent years, we’ve concentrated our efforts on Afghanistan in hopes of rooting out Islamic terrorists holed up there and killing off the leader of the pack, Osama bin Laden..the guy who planned 9-11. Trouble is, most experts now believe that bin Laden is either dead or high tailed it to Pakistan a long time ago. It all seems to be a mess that, like other recent wars, has no clear objectives or exit strategy. And now it is PERSONAL.

taylor smiling marineLinda and my grandson, Taylor Smith, is probably landing in Afghanistan right about the time I’m writing this.  I’ve talked here before about Taylor. He’s always been a big hearted considerate kid with a dream to follow in the footsteps of his dad and grandfather by becoming a U.S. Marine. He signed up shortly after graduating from West Central High School.

The Marine Corps is legendary for its grueling demands both physically and mentally especially during basic training. But Taylor endured it better than most because he’d been training for those challenges all his life. Although younger than many of the other new Marines, Taylor’s dedication and performance first led to leadership positions within the infantry ranks and then he was hand picked to serve in one of the Corps’ most elite units: providing security at the Presidential retreat, Camp David. During his time there, Taylor regularly went jogging with then President, George W. Bush and later scrimmaged basketball with President Obama. But, while it was a prestigious assignment..okay, maybe even a cushy one, Taylor was ready for his Camp David tour to be over.

Now, you should know that he is not one of those stereotypical gung-ho robot-like types just itchin’ to get into a fight. He simply wanted to do his duty and serve alongside his fellow Marines wherever the war against terror is being waged. And so now we, his family..like so many others.. must spend the next year anxiously waiting for any and all news coming out of that god-forsaken country.  I don’t mind telling you that we’re all extremely proud of Taylor but pretty darn scared too. However some of that fear is tempered by the knowledge that he’s a young man of faith and in addition to his own prayers, he’ll have plenty of others being offered up for his safe return.

1. Denny G says:

Our prayers are with Taylor always!!

2. Donn says:

Semper Fi, Corporal Smith, and GodSpeed!

3. Brenda says:

He must be quite a young man to have been given such an honor! Our prayers will be him and all of you as you await his safe return home.

Amen, amen, and again I say AMEN!

5. Shelle says:

With ALL of the Trudeau clan back home praying and watching over him; there is no doubt he WILL return safe and sound. Thank you Doug for honoring Taylor on your blog and to ALL our service men and women for their dedication and honor in keeping ALL of us safe here back home…Peace be with you on your journey.

6. With eight children and lots of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, I have spent (which seems like) over half my life waiting. Waiting for their arrival to enter this world, waiting for there coming home. Only with a strong faith and lots of prayers, we are able to face life’s challenges. We have to believe that Taylor will too. P.S. I am very proud of Taylor!

7. Maria says:

PEACE! How many times have we prayed for peace, yet the struggle goes on. Taylor now is among those we especially pray for, for fighting for our Country. God be with you!

Thanks Doug for honoring Taylor and all the men & women who so deserve it.

8. prairierose says:

CONGRATULATIONS DOUG on receiving the Charnley award. Taylor is a good man and may God watch over him and all our military in lands far from home.

9. Mom says:

A mom is supposed to always take care of her babies and it rips me up that I can’t now. Or maybe that he doesn’t want or need me to!! My baby boy is now a man and maybe I am supposed to let go..not happening!! LOVE YOU FAMILY for praying for my son and my family now and always. I reminded Taylor on his 22nd birthday card (last month…twenty two is “all growed up” until they hop a plan to Afghanistan!) to never ever forget who brought him into this world and to remember that God is with him at all times and talking to Him is such a big help. Taylor has been prepared by the best to be the best and he will be. CELEBRATE BIG when he comes home! I LOVE YOU SENIOR SON

10. Darwin Wollmann says:

Doug, our son Mathew is also a Marine. He signed up in 2008 at age 17 (delayed entry program) while in high school. We are driving (yes driving 3000 miles round trip) to Silverdale Washington in July to see him. We thank Taylor and all military for the service they provide.