Is It Over Already?

Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Realizing what the weather’s been like back home, I hesitate to mention this..but even the desert valley locals say this has been one of the nicest Januarys in recent memory.  Monday, though, we face the chilling reality that our time here has expired and we must press on home to Dakota. I’m already dreading those long hours gazing though the windshield at that monotonous slab of concrete occasionally  interrupted by moments of heart-in-the-mouth terror as idiot drivers suddenly pull out in front of me while I’m passing..because it’s too much trouble for them to tap-off their #$%&! cruise control. Should be fewer travel trailers and motor homes on the road going back, though. But there are still plenty of truckers who feel the need to block the interstate when one tries to pass another without sufficient power to get the job done and, of course, the passee..not about to sacrifice any momentum,  refuses to lift off the gas to let him (or her) by resulting in a big backup of cars behind with drivers clearly mouthing  naughty words.  I’m also anticipating aggravation and anger every time we stop to top off Big Red. Gas prices have gone up 20 @#$%^& cents a gallon since we left.  A growing market for cars and fuel in places like China, Brazil and India are blamed..but that’s the same excuse given the last time when, during the financial crisis, oil jumped to 145 dollars a barrel. Then, when Americans said to hell with that and quit driving everywhere, the price dropped to 30 dollars a barrel. Market analysts say that’s not likely to happen again, though; just the opposite:  five bucks a gallon by 2012. If that’s the case, Big Red is in for a lot of down time in our garage.

But enough of that negativity. It has been another great escape and most enjoyable few weeks. Linda has read a dozen books and visited the nearby casino a few times and I’ve gotten to play lots of January golf and meet up with many old friends.

The first tee on my favorite golf course, Desert Canyon right here in Fountain Hills. Those are some of the Legion Club members I play with. Mike Lambau in the center is a long time Chicago Police detective who helped nail serial killer, John Wayne Gacy.

On the final hole. That's Four Peaks Mountain in the background.

On the final hole. That's Four Peaks Mountain in the background.

Spent an afternoon with Bob Pendergraf (one of my Brandon golf pals) and his wife, Carolyn. They have a beautiful place North of Phoenix with a lovely faux grass back yard and putting green. Their ranch also has room for their six horses to scamper about between rides.

az golf and bob's 006

We’re having a big get-together this weekend with Linda’s family. Six of her seven brothers and sisters along with the 87 year old matriarch of the Trudeau clan, Mother Mary, have traveled here. There are several relatives in the Phoenix area who’ll be hosting lots of patio parties featuring abundant wine, mildly spicy Southwest munchies and lots of laughter. A fine way to bid this home away from home “Adios” for another season.

1. Steve says:

I have a comment about the fuel prices. Apparently we didn’t learn our lesson the first time around. The $145 per barrell put our country in a tough position. I hate to think of the speculators driving prices up again. I’m hoping that there is some way to stop it. Kinda hard to keep your head above the water when everything goes up except your take home pay.

Drive careful and watch out for the crazies!

2. Merrill says:

Have a good drive Steve and Linda. Maybe next year, it should be 2 months of fun in the sun.

3. Suzan says:

Be safe and don’t let those other drivers get to you. As much as you’ll want to get home after you get started, you don’t have to beat the clock! Tell all the Trudeaus hello from us. Much love!

4. Donn says:

Drive carefully. As for the gas prices, I’m sure the President and Vice President are pocketing their share, as the last administration was accused of doing.

5. Doug Lund says:

Merrill. So that’s where Linda disappeared to. She’s run off with (Steve) Hemmingsen.

6. Peg says:

It gets to be a small world..we are in Phoenix as well and enjoyed the pix of Bob & Carolyn. Carolyn is a high school classmate…

7. Karla K says:

My parents are down there & will be heading back about the same time you are…so if you see a beige Pontiac with Minnesota plates pulled over anywhere, it might be my parents! They live in the “little town by the lake” and rub elbows with Steve quite often. I told them about your “recommendation” of Greasewood Flat – am anxious to hear if they checked it out. Have a safe trip!!

8. Wendy says:

I hope you have a good time with the Trudeau family! I still miss Mary’s homemade chocolate chip cookies! Tell her hello from an old family friend!

I hate to be political, but the last time gas prices rose to this level was when the Republicans were in the driver’s seat. As time goes on and I get more cynical, I’m convinced they love oil companies and drug companies more than their constituents. From what I’ve heard, even Kristi Noem who was against government health care, signed up for the government health care program for herself and the fruits of her loins. At last report, Thune refused to give up his government subsidized health program, as did Tim Johnson. Wouldn’t the taxpayer save a lot of symbolic money if our elected officials bought health care insurance on the open market? That is the American Republican way.
    At any rate, drive careful….but expect to be greeted with a certain finger gesture upon your return. You will also be expected to buy a couple of rounds in order bribe us to hear the details of yet another Lund escape from cruelties the rest of us are forced to endure during the aftermath of yuletide joy.

10. Bob B. says:

Hey Grouse, I thought KELO took the Political Blogs off for a reason. You must not be able to accept that without a JAB a your rival Politcal Party. Always someone elses fault for everything isn’t it. This crap is getting OLD!!!

Geez Bob….I’m an Independent! I call a spade a spade. If Republicans have a track record, I feel free to make a fun comment. When Democrats are full of crap, they’re fair game too. When we stop criticizing all political parties our democracy is over. I get the feeling you’re a go along to get along guy, and that’s great. But, if you remember your history correctly, and I’m sure you took history, our German friends stopped teasing the powers that be, and the powers turned into monsters. At any rate, won’t it be great when spring happens? The butterflies will be fluttering! Cousin Doug will be golfing in Brandon! I’m pretty sure the leaves will come out again! And, rumor has it flowers will bloom. So, bundle up for the cold next few days and stay warm and cozy.

12. Corey says:

Are you that miserable Doug? I have a solution to your problem, it’s called FLYING. You obviously suffer from what some refer to as ROAD RAGE. I used to work at the same grocery store that you frequented years ago. You were cold and rude (for what reason I do not know) then, and I can see that you still are. I hope you learn to look at things a bit differently.