Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm

65!

Okay..now this is serious.

I sort of tip-toed into my sixties; not thinking too much about it because I’d long since gotten over the shock of being eligible for AARP membership..plus I was blinded by the excitement and apprehension of retiring from a job I had loved for over 30 years.

Now, I’ve reached the age that my very first life insurance agent told me I needed to be prepared for way back in 1966. I remember him saying if I sign-up for the whole-life policy he was proposing, by the time I reached 65, it would be worth 250 thousand dollars. The thought of ever having a nest egg like that was as remote to me then as the possibility that I’d ever reach 65. Yet here I am and there’s no getting around it. I don’t have that promised quarter million dollars tucked away in the bank. The policy went dormant long ago when I wasn’t making enough to come up with food and rent money much less pay an insurance premium that offered nothing in return unless I died or survived to old age..which was eons away.

I don’t mind telling you, I’m a little scared..especially when reading through the obituaries and I see lots of people in there who were younger than me when the grim reaper came calling. The real sad part is they were old enough that no obit explanation was necessary as to what caused their untimely passing. I can hear many of you saying, “Why should you be scared, aren’t you a Christian?” Well, yes I am but I’m also a sinner who struggles with the concept of salvation by grace and biblical passages that warn of a judgment day when we’ll all be held accountable for our conduct in life. Uffdah!

One day last summer, my elder brother and his wife stopped over to the house. He not so subtly suggested I might want to consider adjusting my lifestyle a tad because, based on his own experience, things can really start to go haywire after 65. He bases that on his own episodes with a fluttering heart, a mild stroke and a touch of Parkinson’s that have stopped by to say hello since his 65th four years ago. He’s right, of course, and I don’t want my health to go south just yet so I will make an effort to shape up..so to speak. But I also take comfort in the words of those who regularly remind me that age is just a number..rejoice and be glad in it. As the great Hollywood philosopher, Doris Day, once sang; “Kay sa ra sa ra” (whatever will be will be) the future’s not ours to see.  I’ve been a very very lucky man.. undeservedly blessed with a wife and children and family who’ve managed to look PAST my dubious past and love me anyway. I have delighted in a challenging and fulfilling career in broadcasting and music. I have an abundance of friends and acquaintances… yet I know there are many whom I’ve wronged over the years and wish now to beg your forgiveness.

I do plan to be around for a long time yet..but, while I have the luxury of a forum like this, let me just say thank you to all who’ve touched my life and enriched my memories over these three score and five years.

“My cup runneth over.” (DD aka Capt.11)

Happy Burtday der den Duck! Now that you are officially a senior citizen and will qualify for a 10% discount at virtually every business establishment in the U.S., you are indeed right take pause and reflect. As you start planning for your eventual demise and internment into the cold, cold ground, it’s always wise to tell the family what your would like for floral arrangements at the funeral. One that I am going to request is very popular in the deep south. It’s a standing spray of flowers with a telephone in the center along with a ribbon that reads “Jesus Called!”……Well, I hope these few words of inspiration and encouragement have helped to make the day a little brighter! At any rate eat all your birthday cake….Enjoy several adult beverages….And, quite frankly, at your age I’d probably run down to Best Buy and make sure you have “Caller ID” on every phone you own.

2. Happy Birthday, Doug !!!!! I still think of us being YOUNG and entertaining the Farmers Union people and also at First Lutheran Church. You and Grouse have great voices and enjoy your talents of music and writing. Mrs. Schultz loved you guys. Enjoy your birthday and have a safe drive home to the cold and snow.

3. Alona says:

Hi Doug, Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people. Now that we are both Medicare Age I feel like it was just yesterday when we moved into the neighborhood with our little girls that were not yet in school and just to think we have been great friends ever since. You married my best friend Linda, I was your maid of honor at your wedding, and on and on and on. Have a great day, and a safe trip back home

4. daniel Johnson says:

Relax Doug , 65 is just a number. I passed it nearly 8 years ago and I really don’t feel any different . I realize of course that nature designed us for about 70 years but thanks to medical intervention we can at times cheat nature and go on for who knows how long . Happy bithday .

5. Jack Schmieder says:

Happy Birthday youngster! Enjoy those early bird dinners.

6. LeAnn says:

Happy Birthday Doug!!!!! I’m right there with you on the uffdah part…..

Jeg vil ønske deg inderlig til lykke med dagen…Det er harde bud å bli så gammel som du…. Gratulerer På Dagen…(I will wish you hearfelt “happy returns” on your birthday–and that’s kinda hard to do for someone as old as you!!!! Congratulations on YOUR day)
    From your ol’ Frozen Norsk Friend up Nort…. Per På Peterson

8. Deb says:

i think your a great guy Doug. i watched you for years on kelo. i enjoy reading your blogs. you brighten peoples days. i hope you continue to do the blogs for a long time.and as others said i wouldn’t worry about your age.its just a number, your just as old as ya feel. you and Linda just enjoy your lives and have fun. take care.

9. Denny G says:

Happy Birthday,Doug. Cant wait to do a little road trip (Vesta) when you guys get back. See ya soon and bring back some of that warm weather—-we need it.

10. Mary says:

Happy Birthday Doug! Remember ‘one day at a time’
    ………
    You have been blessed.

11. Don Tucker says:

Hi, Happy Birthday Doug. I enjoy your stuff. Stop by the lake sometime when you are on a road trip

12. Don Tucker says:

Hi, Happy Birthday Doug. I enjoy your blogs. Stop by the lake sometime when you are on a road trip

13. Don Tucker says:

happy birthday Doug. Stop by some time

14. Larry Elverud says:

Gratulerer med dagen!
    My 64th birthday was the 24th (Monday) and this was on the card that John Bjerke sent me. Sometime we need a gathering of graduates from Volga ’64 and Sioux Valley ’65. You picked a good month to be in Phoenix. I like that idea. Keep up the blogs, I check them often and enjoy your insight.
    The above is suppose to say “Happy Birthday” in Norwegian.

15. Darwin says:

Happy Birthday Doug

16. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Thanks!

17. zenithink says:

If anybody is interested in real estate or want to do some kind of buy-sell deal can go through various sites.