A Walk In The Park

Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

I wanted my 400th blog on Keloland.com to be something special and, as it turns out, that’s just what it is…even without me writing a word. I received a call from Executive Producer and my long-time colleague, Jaine Andrews, last week informing me that they were changing some things around on our web page and that I would be the only regular blogger from now on.  Well, I didn’t ask a lot of questions so I don’t have a lot of answers about the decision except to be glad I made the cut and hope to show my appreciation by being even more prolific with my entries in the future. Look for “Lund at Large” in the left red column on the Keloland web page.

Linda and I have been trying to maintain some kind of exercise regimen while were down here in Arizona. Our favorite place to walk is the 1.2 mile stretch of sidewalk that circles Fountain Lake..a man-made body of water with the big fountain in the middle for which this community of Fountain Hills is names. It shoots a stream of water several hundred feet into the air for 15 minutes ever hour. I..and lots of other old guys just like me..are jealous every time we see it.

fountain hills entrance use

The walk is enjoyable enough except I now have a real appreciation for the many benches placed along the path so I can plop down and catch my breath at least once a trip. The other day, after we made the circle, Linda and I must have sat on a bench for the better part of an hour watching other gray hairs with their spouses or their dogs or both chugging  past. So this is what it has come to, I thought to myself, I’m actually enjoying sitting on a park bench and letting the world pass by.  Just to snap out of it, we got dressed up that night and went with out daughter Christy to a local club for a couple adult beverages. It was Karaoke night which meant Christy was putting the pressure on me to sing. She has fond memories of  tagging along with us  to dances when I was playing in bands and, for some reason, liked the songs I sang.   Well, after a couple more adult beverages, I gave her the green light to go ahead and write down a few tunes to give to the DJ and, before long I was up front of the crowd hoping I could keep pace with the recording. Before the night was over I’d managed to eek out renditions of September Morn by Neal Diamond, New York, New York by Sinatra and Can’t help falling in love with you by Elvis. The audience, who had also been consuming their share of adult beverages, was surprisingly pleased by my efforts and asked if I was coming back next week. I guess that depends on whether or not I’m motivated by a lazy day in the park and a few squirts of vodka.

1. dan says:

I Continue to enjoy your blogs. Sad to hear Steve Hemmingsen will not be blogging. His was the other I throughly enjoyed.

With the weather here 0 with windchills in the negative teens some sumblance of warmth is helpful.
    Keep the fountain pictures coming so we all remember what open water looks like back here.

It is getting to be a long cold winter.

2. FOSH says:

I am saddened that Steve seems to be taking a leave of absence from blogging. I look for updates on both of your blogs pretty much daily. I hope he is doing alright. We miss you Steve!

3. Steve says:

Ditto about Steve. I enjoyed reading his blog and trying to digest his thoughts and hope things go well for him.

And Doug, for the record, you sing very well. I’m not surprised that people were wondering if you were coming back. As I’ve said before when I was working with the big bands I always enjoyed the KELO people showing up because I knew we would get you to sing. Always enjoyed it.

1.2 miles isn’t that far. If you’ve got to take a blow after that maybe you should start going around twice! :-)

4. Les says:

I too am glad that you will be continuing to entertain us with your blogs and saddend that we will no longer be reading anything from Steve I had hoped he was just on a little break and with the legislature going would soon be hearing from Steve again. As cold and snowy as it has been you might want to explore a longer stay than 30 days this year I sure would I am now a member of the I hate winter club.

5. Peg says:

I really enjoy your blogs and I too will miss reading Steve’s…does KELO know what they are doing? or did Steve just not want to do it.

6. Hemmingsen says:

Uh…no and yes, Peg.

7. Mr Belvedere says:

Hemmingsen, totally agree on the first part, reconsider the second. We all enjoyed your sarcastied (sp) sense of humor, your abilty to piss people off and still like you, and most of all your outstanding writing abilty.

Geez Doug….Like I said on the phone, if you are going to sing karaoke and help contribute to keeping talented musicians from getting a paying gig, then the least you could do is take a chance and sing some songs you haven’t sung a thousand times before! It would be like me singing “Rave On” or “Hey Baby/Sherry” (available on my “Greatest Hits” CD along with several others) without a live band to a prerecorded tape and expecting the same accolades and spontaneous outpouring of applause, panties and motel keys. Oh sure, there may be a few, but not as many as with a real live flesh and blood band pulsating with notes and back beats that are only known and understood at our basic primeval level. Remember Doug, when you sing karaoke, you’re taking the food out of the mouths of talented musicians who are struggling to keep their little tykes clothed and fed…and perhaps treat them to a couple forkfuls of lutefisk at Christmas. At any rate, when you get back, we’ll have to explore this Japanese (remember they bombed Pearl Harbor) karaoke phenom and sing some songs we’ve never done, because we couldn’t afford an full orchestra.

9. brian says:

I didn’t always agree with Steve, but isn’t that the point of Blogs? Kelo get your head out. I heard the discontinued other blogs too. Room for more weather or what Kelo? There is alot more to news than the weather over and over.

10. Amen to that Brian!!Marilyn

11. XNXX says:

I love the expression. Everyone needs to express there own opinion and feel free to hear others. Keep it up :)

12. I do believe that this certain blog was ever most useful in my adventures of blogging. Ever more I think everyone should know and learn the information posted. Good day. :)