Go Big Red

Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

And ‘Poof”, just like that Christmas is over and one by one our kids and grandkids give hugs and “I love you’s” then pile into their respective vehicles or board an airplane and take off for home.  Linda and I feel a little like Dorothy; frantically caught up in this huge tornado and then suddenly land with a thud in Oz where all is deathly quiet. It’s true that we no longer have to fret about running out of food or hot water. But also gone is the joy of a child in the house again who dazzles us with amazing artwork for the refrigerator door and who doesn’t mind you watching  “Sponge Bob Square Pants” with her in the mornings over a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

Grandaughter Zoey packed and ready. Peace!

Grandaughter Zoey packed and ready. Peace!

Ella's turn to play Santa

Ella's turn to play Santa

Linda and I will be departing ourselves soon…pointing Big Red southwest for the annual gathering of Midwest snowbirds in Arizona. Our big old red Lincoln now has 140 thousand miles but still feels pretty frisky; tugging at her leash anxious to get rollin’.  We don’t nest in the desert for as long as some others because our nest egg is a scrambled mess compared to theirs. Besides, the guilt of staying in the warm January sunshine for longer than a month while folks back home are bringing in their brass monkeys, would be nearly too much to bear.

Speaking of January, I suppose it’s time for making resolutions if you’re in to that sort of thing.  I keep resolving to diet and exercise then have to resolve not to slit my wrists for failing to keep my resolution. All I can say about that in 2011 is I will continue looking for ways to have there be less of me at the beginning of 2012. After that it won’t matter anyway if you believe those doomsday predictions based on some Mayan calendar.

Sorry, but I’m making this short because Linda is threatening to have me pack my own suitcase if I don’t hurry up and lay out the clothes I want to take along. Plus, I’ve got to pay bills, put some polish on my good shoes and clean and organize my golf equipment..heh, heh.

As usual, I’ll post a few words and pictures from along the way.

Just a couple other notes; I had lunch with an old pal today at the Falls Park restaurant. I’d been in the building but never to eat. What a pleasant surprise. The place was busy and the food fantastic. While there, a guy I didn’t know stopped over to wish me a Happy New Year and say he really enjoys reading my blogs.  I can’t tell you how much I appreciate those of you who check in here regularly. Thank you so very much! Linda and I wish you peace, prosperity and best wishes in the New Year.

1. Gary says:

We do like your blogs, enjoy your vacation.

2. L McKinney says:

i also enjoy the blogs and race to read them as soon as i know something new is posted. enjoy your trip take lots of pics and i will look forward to reading of your adventure

3. Betty F says:

Have FUN in the sun! I enjoy reading your blogs as well!

4. Deb says:

i enjoy your blogs also and do check for new ones daily. have a safe trip. enjoy the warm weather down there.HAPPY NEW YEARS to you and Linda.take care

5. Deb says:

yous have cute granddaughters. and looks like like yous have a beautiful home.

6. River says:

Also really enjoy your blogs and check for new ones daily, have a good trip and enjoy the warm weather.

7. Kevin says:

Always enjoy reading your blogs. Have a Safe and Graet vacation.

8. Carol says:

Hi Doug! I don’t let a morning go by without checking your blog, whether I’m in SF or Florida. You have always been one of my favorite personalities. The photos you often include are great too. Hope you never retire! Have a wonderful time in Arizona with Linda!

9. Denny G says:

Happy trails and safe travels to you and Linda.

10. Tim B. says:

Here I thought this was a blog about the Huskers. I enjoy your blogs and especially the travels. Enjoy seeing the things of “interest” along the road. Wish Hemmingsen would blog some more. Maybe when you get back you can do a day trip with Steve and Trygve.

11. Taxpayer says:

Doug:

I think I remember you dropping “Big Red” off at Nordstroms some time ago. Did you retrieve her, or is this a new “Big Red”. Whatever, it has probably still got a lot of life left.

Will be heading to west central AZ myself shortly. Might have to beg money to stay.

Have a happy safe trip.

12. Doug Lund says:

Taxpayer.. that was White Lightnin’..our 1990 Lincoln. She only had 190 thousand miles before giving up the ghost. She now “rusts in peace” at Nordstroms. DL

13. Lyle says:

You are certainly correct. The lunch at the OVERLOOK CAFE was excellent. However, I do resent being called OLD. Just kidding. Drive safely.

14. LeAnn says:

Happy New Year to the both of you. Have a safe trip to Arizona, I hope it quits raining down there by the time you get there. My brother has been in Havesu for over two weeks and only been able to golf once because of all the rain. O well that will give you more time for flea markets, lunches and happy hours…

15. Susan says:

Doug
    Nice to know you ate at Falls Park Restaurant. My Dad managed the plant for 47 years and I went there a lot when I was a kid. I love to see that they did not tear it down and have really refurbished the grounds and make it enjoy able for everyone to visit. I do enjoy your blogs and check in on a regular basis. Have a safe and Happy New year

16. Doug, Lucky you. Enjoy the sun and warmth. Encourage Steve to keep writing his blog as he has been absent for a while. All is well in Spink Co. Harvey Wollman

17. Tim Swartos says:

Doug, we keep reading down in FL.