Tara

Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 at 12:13 am

“Honey, (My wife sometimes calls me honey..not because I’m so sweet but usually just before asking me to do something) why haven’t you ever blogged about Tara? You’ve written about all of our grandkids and their achievements but nothing about her. You know she might think you’re not as proud of her as the others.”

Well, that’s just nonsense.  Of course I’m proud of Tara..it’s just that telling her story forces me to open up and share a few things about myself that i’m not very proud of.

But, as I sit here late on the eve of Tara’s 28th birthday I figure, what the heck…so here goes.

I had been dating Linda for a couple years when she got the call from her daughter, Brenda, saying she was going to have a baby.

Now, both Linda and I were parents as teenagers ourselves so we didn’t have a lot of moral high ground on which to stand to be critical.  But, we wondered, how is she ever going to manage?  Well, a few months later, Tara arrived right on schedule. I don’t even remember going up to the hospital to see her. I’m ashamed to admit that I wasn’t all that excited about this new baby or the fact that she made my girlfriend a grandma.

Now, I love kids..I really do but I didn’t like the idea of this kid horning in on my time with my wife to be.  I was such a fool and it didn’t take long before God took me aside and shook some sense into my sour soul.

It happened one evening when I stopped at Linda’s over my supper hour from work. She said there’s a little girl in the other room who might like to see you. There sitting on the bed was seven month old Tara playing with a toy. When I sat down next to her, her eyes lit up and she gave me a big dimpled smile then reached her arms out for me to hold her. As I did, a wave of shame washed over me for my selfish attitude toward this precious little one. But that was soon followed by another wave.. one of  unexplainable unconditional love for this beautiful innocent gift from God who melted my hard heart.

Linda had been smitten by this kid from the beginning and knew it was only a matter of time before I’d come around too.

From then on, I’ve cherished every moment we’ve had together…and there have been lots and lots of wonderful ones.

From a game of Legos, to a visit with Captain Eleven to just clowning around Tara lit up our life

From a game of Legos, to a visit with Captain Eleven to just clowning around, Tara and I were like peas in a pod.

Not ALWAYS happy..but usually gullable on the something spilled on your shirt game.

Not ALWAYS happy..but usually gullable when my finger bumped her nose in the something spilled on your shirt game.

From Foosball to piano duets to helping with the dishes and modeling a new winter coat.

From Foosball to piano duets to helping with the dishes and modeling a new winter coat we always had fun.

tara bike

From her first bike ride to marching in the band

From her first bike ride to marching in the band

Graduation Day

Graduation Day

But as I learned with my own daughters, there comes a time when the training wheels come off and you just hope and pray they’ll be alright without you around to hold them up.

I know Tara believes that I still want her to be that same little girl who changed my life so many years ago and feels she’s disappointed me in some of the life choices she’s made.

But she needn’t worry.

I adore all of my grandchildren, of course,  but Tare Bear you were the first to steal my heart and you’ll ALWAYS have an extra special place there.

Pals forever

Pals forever

Now, Tara and Peter have a litte terror of their own called Ella and she's "Great!"

Happy Birthday, Tare Bear!

Love, Grandpa Doug

1. Tara says:

Thank you so much for the blog Grandpa! Love you!!

2. Suzan says:

Awwww, now you’ve got my crying at work! I can’t imagine a better birthday tribute to our special “Tare Bear.” The relationship you two have shared always warms my heart. Happy birthday, Tara!

3. Joanie says:

Only because of the great love we have for our own grandchildren (and soon to be 1st GREAT grandchild) do I understand perfectly how you feel about all of them. They are such gifts of GOD!! I’m sure that soon we will share more stories! They are truly the lights of our lives–thanks to our own wonderful children!!

4. LeAnn says:

AWE……THAT IS ABOUT THE SWEETEST THING THAT YOU COULD DO FOR HER BIRTHDAY!! THIS IS A GIFT SHE WILL NEVER FORGET. MY FATHER WAS KILLED IN A CAR ACCIDENT WHEN I WAS 3. MY MOTHER REMARRIED WHEN I WAS 5. I DID NOT LIKE MY STEP DAD AT ALL, WHY? I HAVE NO IDEA. I TRIED TO MAKE LIFE SO MISERABLE FOR HIM THAT MAYBE HE’D GO AWAY. BUT WHEN I REALIZED THAT HE WASN’T GOING ANYWHERE I DECIDED HE WASN’T ALL THAT BAD. THAT WAS OVER 54 YEARS AGO, HE WILL BE 99 YEARS OLD IN JANUARY AND I CAN’T IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT HIM .HE’S BEEN THE BEST DAD EVER!!! TARA IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU FOR A GRANDFATHER.

5. James says:

Yep, crying here too. Tara, happy birthday!!! Wow, you’re sure getting old. (Just kidding!)

6. Brenda says:

Mama Brenda crying tears of wonderful memories for my most special Love Child, my Tara. You saved me and set me straight when I had you. I might have been young and single but you were the best thing that could have happened to me! I needed you as much as you needed me and you have been and will always be my best friend. I love you baby girl.

7. Carla says:

Happy Birthday Tara!! You truly are a very special girl. Brenda I know you are and should be so proud of your little girl.

Doug what a great birthday present.

8. Jessica says:

This was so sweet for you to share your story with us about your granddaughter. You had me crying at work. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

9. Joseph Moser says:

Nice work… I’m not crying at work, but it was touching and it was real…

10. Debbie says:

Doug, I know how you feel. My husband and I have a little girl we have raised since she was a baby. She is my husband’s great niece. Her mother did not want her and the instant I saw her she had my heart in her tiny hands. We nursed her through cancer and took her to her appointments and there have been moments when she tries our patience because we are both in our middle fifties with grandchildren. I would not trade these cherished moments for the world. We are not rich and I wish sometimes I could give her as much as she gives me, however I do not think she minds. She is very much our daughter and we love her and would give our lives for her. I cannot express all the joy she brings me and I will cherish these times forever. Thanks Doug.