Which House Candidate Looks Best To You?

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Geeze, am I  becoming one of “those guys?”

You know, a typical man who has reached the age where we feel we can say or do outlandish things and don’t give a hoot what anybody thinks about it?

Well, maybe.,.because I’m afraid, as I follow the U.S. House of Representatives race..I have a hard time concentrating on what the two major candidates..Democrat, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin and Republican, Kristi Noem..are saying.

Stephanie VS Kristi

Stephanie VS Kristi

Mostly, what I think about is how physically attractive they both are and how ashamed of myself I should be for being such a shallow schlub and living  down to the expectations of my friend and Keloland News Director, Beth Fuller Jensen, who usually just shakes her head in disbelief and laughs when I utter such apparent sexist remarks.

But, sorry…if anybody wants to take me to court over comments I make that both of these most able and qualified candidates are also real good lookin’ then..have at it.

I have a hunch that before the November election, the national press is going to put the spotlight on both candidates as well..and not just for their stand on the economy or healthcare.

Oh, and just to be fair..New York magazine recently had an article on the possibility of Republican South Dakota Senator, John Thune’s run for president titled, “Will voters be able to resist John Thune’s perfect sexy face in 2012?

Come on..what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Actually, such superficial comments aren’t good at all, I suppose, but it’s the reality of politics and has been ever since Lincoln grew a beard to improve his public perception.

In 1960, John F. Kennedy lost the first ever televised presidential debate to Richard Nixon..at least  according to those who listened on RADIO..but for those watching on TV, Kennedy, looking young, handsome and virile, won, hands down, against the vice president who appeared anemic and disheveled with puddles of nervous sweat on his upper lip.

Anyway, I’m not endorsing either House candidate…just stating the obvious that both are real easy on the eye and wonder if their messages will get through in spite of that fact or whether they’ll be consulting with make-up and clothing experts to outdo each other enhancing their already exquisite features in order to win votes from chauvinist slugs like me .

I look forward to your comments of condemnation.

Whoops, Doug! I’m assuming you meant to say “young, handsome and VIRILE”?

2. Mike H says:

Doug, I am going to stand beside you on this one! I am not dumb enough, or apparently, old enough, to actually AGREE with you on the record, but I am going to stand beside you on this one! :-)

3. FOSH says:

perhaps a bit viral too??

4. Doug Lund says:

*&^%$ Spellcheck.
    Perhaps John Thune’s good looks are the result of a viral anomaly..oh, shoot, did I spell anomaly right?

5. GMAX9 says:

JFK was neither virile nor viral – he was HOT! Remember how disappointed I was, as a 6th grader paying attention to politics for the 1st time, when I learned that “my” candidate was that homely guy. Ahhh, youthful memories.

Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug,Doug…..Know ye not that a woman’s place is in the House? Cuz, we’re just getting even with the fairer sex who have been voting for good lookin’ guys for the last 50 years. Before you take any heat for sexist remarks generally belittled by ladies who would love some, just remind the chastiser of the question asked of Bill Clinton during one of his campaigns. “Boxers or briefs?”
    No female ever raised her pretty hand in protest. Not one! Not even Hilary, who would have killed for a question like that.
    Now it’s our turn. Every red blooded male South Dakotan should be just waiting for the girls’ national advisers to start suggesting that they loosen up. Show some cleavage. What about a swimsuit photo that served Sarah Palin so well.
    So far, all we’ve gotten is both gals in tight fittin’ jeans. But, more is on the way. These girls are hot and just getting started. There, I said it. This is a dream campaign for SD guys.
    Stephanie’s latest commercial shows her little “Texan” pouring spaghetti on his head. I am alerting the Norwegian-American community to strip her of her Norwegian ambassador like gig in protest. The little “Texan” should have been pouring Tuna noodle hot dish on his cute little noggin. And, if she wasn’t going to marry a Norwegian-American South Dakotan, at least she could have found someone with a full head of hair. The commercial finally shows our Representative sitting on the pot. I can add nothing more.
    The other gal, Kristi….the one with more money than God…whose farm is still subsidized by subsidies …..who for reasons I’m still investigating…refused to finish college. Too busy partying?…..Algebra 101 a little too tough?….Inquiring minds want to know.
    Just wait guys…by the time November rolls around we’ll be seeing a lot more of these candidates.
    Happy days are here again!

7. gp says:

Grouse….you ARE the best….Fantastic observations…. GP

8. fsl says:

Hey Doug/ Will we see a blog soon about the Civil War Days at Pipestone soon ?
    Saw you guys there today (Sat, 8-14).
    How’d you like it ? Glad we don’t have to dress like that these days..the good ol’ days weren’t always so good. ~fsl.

9. Doug Lund says:

Hi “FSL”..Yup, you sure will. We had a wonderful time in Pipestone and learned a lot about the Civil War from the reenactors. The weather was splendid and the battle scene was very realistic..especially sitting that close to the cannon.

10. fsl says:

Yes Doug that cannon noise was something. Your wife & I jumped everytime it went off.. we sat behind you guys.
    We learned a lot also. The Gettysburg address was very moving as well. Glad you enjoyed the day as did we. ~ fsl.

11. Suzan says:

If looks help get a solid message heard, great. If that’s all you’ve got, how sad are we if it’s enough?

OK – on to Civil War history – I need to tout my employer, UNL. Some of our faculty just received a large Nat’l Endowment for the Humanities award to study Civil War Washington. It makes use of digital resources to create an interactive website that will give more depth and understanding of how the Civil War impacted our nation’s capital.

To learn more go to: http://newsroom.unl.edu/releases/2010/08/11/UNL and to see the site prototype go to http://www.civilwardc.org/

Enjoy!

12. Joanie says:

wish we would have been in Pipestone with you–we could have shown you some other points of interest!!!

13. Joanie says:

I still love my hometown!!

14. Squibby says:

15. RT says:

Is it my imagination or does Ms Noem look a little bewildered, lost and confused in this picture?

16. Michael says:

Both House candidates are hot, to be sure, but one is a right-wing lunatic and the other is a Republican pretending to be a Democrat. I’m not voting for either one.

17. Michael says:

Why does anyone think John Thune is good looking? He’s so thin he looks like he was just liberated from a concentration camp. He’d look a whole lot better if he’d eat a few cheeseburgers once in a while.

18. Michael says:

“Thune is probably the only chance Republicans have to take back the White House. Who else can appeal to inde’s? Palin, No. Romney, No. Gingrich, No.”

I usually agree with Squib, but I think Romney has a much better chance of appealing to Independents than the ultra right-wing Thune.

19. Joanie says:

“A woman’s place is in the House, the Senate, and the Oval Office.” Anonymous.

20. If you are feeding human food to you dog and if your dog isn’t used to it, it isn’t a good idea to give you dog human food. Just go to the veteran for some suggestions on what to give your dog without spending money from prescriptions from the veteran. But if you have enough money for the veteran, and care about your dog’s health, you should go to the veteran.Remember, having a pet is like having a child, it’s a big responsibility.