Brothers Of The Sea

Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 at 11:24 am

I come from a long line of seafaring folks.

Well, you have to go pretty far back in my lineage to find them but I AM full blown Norwegian so it seems only logical that my ancestors spent a good amount of time on the water whether it be floating down a fjord fishing for cod or sailing the high seas with the likes of Eric the Red or his boy Leif Ericson exploring for new worlds and finding them like North America 500 years before Columbus.  Cousin Thor Heyerdahl (I’m almost sure he’s a sixth cousin on my father’s side twice removed.) has been named the most famous Norwegian of the 20th century for building a balsa-wood raft in 1947 which he called “Kon-Tiki” and sailing it from Peru to Polynesia to prove that the Polynesians originally came from South America.

So, how come I don’t have a boat?  It turns out that I’m now the only one of the three Lund brothers who doesn’t.

It took a lot of years, but the call of the sea that’s imprinted in our Norse DNA has now been answered by my siblings; Tom has a nice new house by a big South Carolina lake called Keowee and a fancy boat to go with it. During our visit last June, he proudly piloted us around in that craft with a knowledge and confidence that appeared instinctive.

Brother Tom..the star of his Starcraft..confidently guides us around the potentially treacherous waters of Lake Keowee S.C.

Then, this past week, we all finally got to climb aboard my brother Denny’s huge cuddy cabin cruiser that he and wife, Judy, have been refurbishing for the past couple years and actually live on during summer weekends.

A fine looking craft that serves as a summer home.

A fine looking craft that serves as a summer home.

Denny, too, seems right at home at the helm of this vessel as he navigates the waters of the mighty Missouri River.

Captain Lund and his first mate, Judy

Captain Lund and his first mate, Judy

Captain Tom and his first mate, Ilene, are impressed with Captain Denny's yacht-like features which include a galley, head and roomy bed in the bow that sleeps two.

Captain Tom and his first mate, Ilene, are impressed with the boat of Captain Denny and it's yacht-like features which include a galley, head and roomy bed in the bow that sleeps two.

My mate Linda, on the right, doesn't swim and doesn't feel the need for me to follow my brother's watery leadings.

Views like this of a full-to-the-brim again Missouri River are beckoning, though.

Enjoying an occasional ride is enough to scratch my mariner's itch.

Enjoying an occasional ride is enough to scratch my mariner's itch.

So why do I  feel none of these nautical nudgings? Could it be my brother was right when, as kids, he teased me about being adopted? Nah, I look too much like dad for that to be true.  Maybe it’s just that I’m more like my ancestor, “Trygve The Wise”, who liked the water okay but was smart enough to let his brothers actually buy the boats and then invite him along for rides.

1. Robert Vernlund says:

As friens of Denny and Judy, and classmates of Judy in Toronto, my wife and I enjoyed your blog and glad to see people having a good time and enjoying the beauty of the water. Thanks for the great blog and tell Denny and Judy “Hi”.

Bob and Olyda Vernlund
    Moreno Valley, CA

2. Squibby says:

Be sure to have plenty of fruit or sugar on board so no one gets scurvy.

Now don’t sell yourself short. Through the years, you’ve done an admirable Admiral’s job sailing that little boat in your tub from one end to the other….although it’s a grotesque cruise that usually leaves your imaginary passengers retching from the hideous, frightening views. If I remember correctly, you christened it the USS Soapy. And, as if that’s not enough, you regularly pilot those two boats in your driveway.
    As for your brothers exercising their Viking heritage…forget it. No self respecting pretender to Viking blood would have set sail with wives on board! It’s hard to think about pillaging and having your way with foreign ladies (who historically always were thrilled when Norske’s showed up with sword, lutefisk and Aquavet in hand) when you’ve got nagging wives on board. “Don’t go too fast….Slow down….My mother says….I’m not cleaning those fish…..Why did you wear that?….Didn’t you bring some sweet wine?….Don’t look at those English girl’s boobs…..Didn’t you bring my Barry Manilow records?….This isn’t the right direction…..and it goes on and on and on. And did you see one sweet young thing in a skimpy bikini? These are not Vikings.
    All you need to do is proudly climb aboard the boat in your driveway. Put on a Capt. 11 hat, drive to Hy-Vee , pick up some frozen lutefisk, and Aquavit from the liquor store, call me and GP (the Norske Godfather), and we’ll show you how to set your ship assail the Viking way.

4. gp says:

Grouse….you are absolutely right……count me in….. And I’ll also bring along some gammeløst… and some flatbrød….St. Olav would be proud of you….. Skåle Med Dere…. ( we’ll drink a toast together) GP

5. John Barney says:

Are Hungarians invited?

6. gp says:

Well John…..we Norskies are not much on goulash type stuff…..but, if your Missus could put together a good Tuna Hot Dish….or maybe some good creamed peas on toast…..or a good salmon loaf….well, we might just invite you. What do you tink Grouse ? GP

7. Suzan says:

I seem to remember a period of boat ownership in the Doug Lund household, as well. I always loved being out on the water, even in that old boat. It usually died in the middle of any lake upon which it floated, but until then, it was fun! Sounds like I need to hint around for an invite from my uncles if I want another Lund family boat ride.

8. John Barney says:

Ah GP, you’ll never taste a better Tuna hot dish than what my wife makes! Oh, I guess I’ll
    have to admit, she’s half Norwegian!

Hello GP and John! Those Hungarians have a long history of making great wine and beer, plus they’ve brought a lot of beautiful girls to this country (the Gabor sisters come to mind). In addition they have a dynamite rhapsody. John also is married to a half Norwegian girl, so he knows the ropes. He appreciates a great Tuna hot dish and is will to bring it…..I say welcome aboard John!! All that’s left is to teach him the Norwegian table prayer but we can do that over a few glasses of Aquavit.

10. Tom says:

My first experience on the river was very nice and relaxing, but if you have the “need for speed” Lake Keowee and “Nirvana” is where you need to be. Suzan, the invitation is always open for you. You spent some time at UGA so you know how nice this part of the world is. Come on down! Tom

11. Scottish Goldfish says:

Do you mean I was wrong all those years I thought the Lund in Lund Boats was you, Doug?

12. Doug Lund says:

Goldie..Believe me, I’ve investigated the possibility of being among the Lunds known for building boats or operating big Lund grocery stores in Minnesota but nope…nothing in the will for me there.

13. Christy says:

Nothing in the Lund Cadillac salesroom here in Arizona either!!

14. ken says:

Were the mosquitos biting? Why does one guy wear pink shirts all the time? That’s just not healthy

15. Doug Lund says:

Ken..didn’t notice any mosquitos (by the way, did you know the plural of mosquitos is correctly spelled with an “e” on the end or without?) but we did have issues with May flies..or lake flies. Annoying bugs that drive people nuts in their short little lives.
    As for Tom’s pink tee shirt, you have to understand that after buying a lake house and boat he had little left for a vast summer wardrobe.

16. trisha says:

I’m sorry about Ken’s stupid comment on Tom’s pink shirt. I think it looks nice. He must have very good taste. I wonder if he has any shoes I could borrow.