Northern Exposure

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

Yes, the Alcan Highway is rough and bouncy.

Yes, the mosquitoes are the size of hungry hummingbirds.

Yes, the weather changes more often than Lori Line on tour.

But the Yukon Territory and Alaska also contain some of the most stunningly majestic mountains and wondrously remote wilderness areas on earth. We’ve managed to see a grizzly bear and three moose (meese?) along the road so far and we’re only half way across Alaska’s interior.

We’ve taken a three hour river cruise aboard a real sternwheeler..gobbled down fresh salmon and  halibut at the famous Fairbanks Salmon Bake and panned for gold at the El Dorado discovering for ourselves the excitement of seeing that “flash in the pan” of yellow gold: 24 dollars worth in our case.

We’ve gotten to know and enjoy the company of our fellow travelers and look forward to each days new experiences that are slipping by all too quickly.

I know there’s often nothing more  boring than looking at someone else’s vacation pictures but am posting a few anyway.

Down to Anchorage and the 27 glacier tour before it all comes to a conclusion with an overnight flight back to reality Saturday night.

alaska trip 055

alaska trip 095

Panning for gold at the El Durado..we got 24 dollars worth.

Panning for gold at the El Durado..we got 24 dollars worth.

I’ve posted all our photos on Facebook.

1. Suzan says:

What an amazing journey! Glad you’re having a good time. I guess we kids shouldn’t count on the discovery of gold for an inheritance! he he

2. kathy says:

Hey Doug just to let you know my dad worked on the Alcan Highway back in the early 40 was hurt bad up there but did come home and lived until the 70′s

3. Carol says:

Great pictures! Hi to Vern and Judy panning for gold in the picture!

4. Barbara Telkamp says:

Thanks for the pictures. My dad helped build the Alcan highway during WW2 and I always wanted to drive on it. I do not imagine I will ever make it so glad to have the journey through your blog. Thanks. Barbara

5. PV says:

Share all the pictures you want since some of us may never get to see that part of the country.

6. Joanie says:

save that gold for our trip out west!!

7. Roxie says:

Where on Facebook are your pictures? I didn’t see them on Keloland’s facebook page. I would like to see them as my parents are Vern & Judy in the panning for gold picture.

8. LANA says:

We drove the amazing trip from Watertown a couple years ago. What a trip it was, all the scenery,animals and wild flowers were picture perfect too. So breath taking! We even signed our names at Watson Lake at the Sign Post Forest!

9. Paul says:

Roxie: The rest of the pictures are located under Doug Lund in facebook. Not the KELO page.

10. Mindy says:

Hi to my parents Dave and Sally panning for gold! Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves! Thanks for sharing these!