Planes, Pains And Automobiles

Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 at 6:29 am

Well, I finally got Big Red’s overheating problem repaired but not before having to endure the trappings of another garage whose employees lie like rugs.

(Big Red, for those unfamiliar with my fleet of old vehicles, is our ten year old high mileage Town Car that must still look nice enough for mechanics to figure the owner is loaded so let’s stick it to him.)  I’d like to mention which garage it was but better not because they’d likely hire Bill Janklow to sue my butt for all that money I don’t have.

Anyway after I dropped it off, I almost pleaded for them to be gentle with me. An hour later, I get a call; “Bad news, I’m afraid, Doug, the intake has a leak and it will cost at least 13 hundred dollars to replace.”

“13 HUNDRED!,” I said. “Are you kiddin’ me”?” “Nope.. do you want us to go ahead and fix it?”

“No, I’ll be right down to pick it up.”  When I walked into the office, two longtime workers looked me square in the eye and said the part itself was 11 hundred dollars.

I finally did what I should have done in the first place; called our friend’s mechanic son-in-law who came right over..made a couple of calls to parts stores and found the same intake actually cost 275 dollars. He replaced it and the thermostat and I was fixed up and on my way for about a third of what those lying pickpockets wanted.

Anyway, I guess we’re ready to hit the road for South Carolina later this month to visit my brother, Tom who lives by a big lake and is making plans for our stay; including lots of boat rides and golf games.

I talked to Tom over the weekend and he was telling me about this being his 10th anniversary. I had to think for a moment about that. He and Ilene have been married for over 40 years..so that’s not it.  He’s been an airline pilot for 30 or more. Then it hit me..oh, yeah..it was exactly ten years ago  my little brother died and was brought back to life.

Tom had been on his usual run near their home in the New Jersey hills when he suffered a brain aneurism. On the way to the hospital, a young medic in the ambulance managed to revive him and after surgery the next day, my brother slowly came out of it and eventually made a full recovery returning to flight status in about a year.

Tom has kept in regular touch with that young man who saved his life including a call last weekend bringing him up to speed on all the amazing things that have happened since that fateful morning in 2000; the weddings of a son and a daughter, the arrival of 7 grandchildren, piloting bigger airplanes on international flights, relocating to a beautiful home by a forest lake and most importantly, a closer relationship with the Almighty.

Tragedy, or in this case a near tragedy, often brings families closer together. That’s certainly been the case with the three Lund brothers and for that, Denny and I would also like to say thanks to God for arrainging  an inspired young medic to cross Tom’s path that Memorial Day morning a decade ago.

flat stanley pics 010

Happy anniversary, Tom!

1. Marilyn says:

Doug: I really enjoy your blogs.. I have a question. Why can’t we e-mail these to a friend anymore? I always sent you blog’s on to my Sister in Omaha as she used to live in Sioux Falls and watched KELO.

2. Jonathan Garcia says:

Marilyn: We’re still in a transitional phase from the old system, and that feature was left behind. We’re hoping to add something similar that will let you easily share these blogs with your family and friends.

3. Dave says:

Doug: Thanks for your update on your brother and my classmate Tom. He may of had a serious brain aneurism, but ask anyone who attended our reunion in 2008, Tom’s wit,intelligence and charm are still there. It was somewhat of a miracle recovery,but Tom earned it. Tom’s a winner and a leader. (Tom if you’re reading this I’m buttering you up to MC our next reunion) Some earth shattering-breaking news from Volga–2012 all-school reunion during Old Timers weekend. Volga and Sioux Valley grads let this be your first warning. I expect to see all the Lund boys there, you too Grouse.

4. Suzan says:

Hard to believe that was 10 years ago already. What a scary time! So thankful for all God’s blessings on our family. Happy anniversary Uncle Tom! Love you.

5. Matt Hendrickson says:

I can understand garages charging a little bit of a mark-up to pay for overhead, but a 472% Markup?!? As a co-worker of mine says… “Yikes-O-Rama!”

Glad to see your brother is doing well. We recently lost a young man here in Madison to the same condition your brother has. It was pretty tough.

6. Denny G says:

I remember the anxious times 10 years ago. I also remember being amazed at Tom’s recovery. Thanks for recounting it for us. Nice work on the blogs.

7. Claude M. says:

Pretty sure I,ve been to that exact same repair shop by the description you gave !! Makes ya wonder how they can stay in business !! They dont
    use a gun to hold you up, they use a set of wrenches .

8. GMAX9 says:

If anyone out there is contemplating becoming an EMT your brother’s story should provide the impetus needed. First aid training of any kind usually more than compensates for the time it takes. For one thing, a little bit of knowledge can save on trips to the ER that might not be totally necessary.

God bless 1st Responders everywhere! I’m glad there was one available when your brother needed him. How nice, too, that your brother stays in touch – am sure his EMT is grateful to know what a difference he made. What a wonderful world it would be if everyone took the time to express their gratitude for services rendered.

9. Tom says:

Memorial Day is a very special time in our house. Ilene and I did some volunteer work at a local food bank in the morning, went to dinner with some new friends in the evening, and had a great conversation to my personal “Guardian Angel” Justin Gauker. We talked about the exciting things that have gone on in our lives in the 10 years since the event. Justin and all of the people saying prayers on my behalf gave me a second chance. I highly encourage any prospective EMT’s out there to take GMAX9′s advice and do it. May 29, 2000 was a life-changing event for both Justin and I. Thanks Doug for remembering the anniversary. I know the Lund boys are closer because of the incident, and I cherish that. Tom

10. Hello everyone,

If you enjoy what you’re reading and would like to share this blog with your friends or family, you can now use the SHARE button just below the title of the blog entry. You can e-mail, print or use a variety of social networks like Facebook and Twitter to share Doug’s blogs with others.

Thanks for reading,

Jonathan Garcia
    Web Producer
    KELOLAND.com

11. Brenda says:

Happy tears with the memories this brings. I truly believe things happen for a reason and you Uncle Tom are here for too many reasons to count!! Would love to meet the Miracle Medic some day and thank him in person. I needed something positive and inspiring to motivate me today and this was it!! Will “pay it forward” with some good deeds this weekend. Love to all family and friends.

12. Baldie says:

To e-mail the blog you could also click in file in the upper left, a menu drops down, move the curser down to send and chose “Page” or “Link” and you can use your e-mail program pop up with the Page or Link attached, at least I can use my Outlook Express one.

13. Maddog says:

Doug, if you want to be treated fairly, take your automobiles in need of repair to Boyer Automotive as 2323 West Madison Street. He’s a good mechanic, a Christian, and although he may not be the cheapest, he will fix your car like he would fix his own. I’ve used him for 10 years for everything and he has always been fair with me.

14. Jean (Knutson) Hetlet says:

Hi Doug!

This is Judy’s little sister. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about Tom and seeing his picture!! I could only attend part of our class reunion, so I did not see Tom,but did see Ilene. I would like to e-mail them, so would you please share my address with them? In the picture Tom looks as good as ever and must be really enjoying his life and health!!

I do miss you on Kelo. You and Steve were the best!!

Enjoy your trip and time with Tom and Ilene