RIP KELOLAND.com Forums

Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 10:15 am
By: Karen Sherman

The forums on KELOLAND.com have been a place where people could share their opinions on local and world news.  Shortly after I started at KELO, the forums transitioned from the old school message boards to a full-fledged vBulletin system.  Along with the many advantages of the new system, it just felt more like an online community.

But the online world is always changing and there has been a shift away from message boards and this style of communicating and sharing.  As we are always looking for better ways to allow our viewers to share their comments, we’ve phased out the forums in favor of comments at the bottom of stories on KELOLAND.com.

We did mourn the loss of the forums in the newsroom Monday.

Web World mourned the loss of the forums in the newsroom Monday.

fb

Facebook comments at the bottom of stories on KELOLAND.com.

You’ll notice that we’re utilizing a plug-in that allows you to post comments and share these stories directly with your friends on Facebook.

Look for this addition to our site as we include the option in more stories.

Tags: , ,

1. Steve says:

Dumb. Should’ve kept the forums. I hope there is a way to comment without using Facebook.

2. Larry says:

I like the idea that comments are at the bottoms of the story.

What is the Facebook thing? Why is this getting crammed down everyone’s throat?

Maybe do a story about the millions that hate Facebook and have NO time for it.

And YES, I have been on Facebook. Why anyone would waste their time with it is beyond me.

But then I can live without text messaging and/or an electronic leash.

3. Mitch says:

Bravo! This will prevent trolls from posting hate.

4. Donn says:

Good!! I could never get it to work anyway.

5. Badger says:

Goodby forums, but I don’t want to mess around facebook looking for this stuff.

6. Derrick says:

Forums are the only way I go for the most part. Don’t really do the ‘comments’ thing, nor facebook or twitter. Forums FTW. Oh yeah, bring on HD newscasts. :)

7. Ron says:

At first the forums were a lot of fun. Then it became invested with trolls and almost every thread became the same old arguments regurgitated over and over again. Hardly any of the threads stayed on topic which made trying to make sense of it all a real chore.
    I like the new comments better myself. The anonymity is gone and there is now some accountability for posts. Hopefully now we can read peoples opinions on news stories without all the childish nonsense.
    Good move KELO!