Morning Meeting: Sioux Falls Traffic

Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 9:09 am
By: Karen Sherman
Vehicles on the road through the central business district in Beijing on August 4.

It may not be as bad as being stuck in a 60-mile long traffic jam in China, but we’re noticing more congestion on the roadways in Sioux Falls lately.

With school now in session and road construction scattered throughout the city, drivers are spending more time in the car for their morning and evening commutes.

Where do you see the most traffic and when?

Tags: ,

1. Chad Davis says:

Minnesota Avenue is horrible. There are so many stoplights that you are constantly stopping. Way too many curb cuts as well. This road would definitely benefit from another lane each way.

2. Erin Hoiland says:

Defineitly Minnesota Ave, and especially during the morning and evening rush hours. I live on Lotta St (road across from Yankton trails) and the traffic is so bad in the mornings that the traffic waiting to get onto Minnesota Ave gets backed up almost 2 blocks.

3. Dusty says:

I have noticed that 26th Street and I-229 on the east side of town. This area many times during the day is very congested. I have seen more accidents than I care to count. The exit ramp on the north side will sometimes be backed-up almost to Cliff Ave. I have had it take 10 mins or more to go from Southeastern to where you turn to go south on the interstate. I know that this doesn’t sound like much compared to other cities such as Chicago on the Dan Ryan (I-90/94 through downtown), but for Sioux Falls, this can be a long time. Over all, I think that our city planners have been doing a good job trying to stay ahead of congestion in town. Now all we really need is a faster way through town on the east/west bias. Many people don’t realize that the only true through street in that direction is 12th/10th street. And other than I-29, Cliff Ave. and soon to be Marion road are the only completely through North/South streets in town as well.

If the city is still planning on putting the new events center downtown, well that is going to be a mistake. We don’t have the roads nor the parking space to put in and handle the traffic flow that is going to create. I still strongly believe that the best place for something like that would be out by !-29 and Benson Rd. on the west side of the interstate. more room to do it right the first time and more ways for traffic to leave the area. And for those worried about it not bring in business, well just take a look at were just about any other major events center is and then talk to local businesses in those towns to find out how much their business went up.

4. Mitch Kramer says:

Minnesota avenue is horrible, but I think it’s compounded by the fact that there’s no central road from the central/east side of town to the west side. 26th street needs to cut through that golf course to provide faster, more direct access to the west side… This would alleviate alot of traffic on 12th, 41st, and Minnesota avenue… But i agree with the others, that Minnesota avenue wins the award for congestion, and too many traffic lights… but let’s not forget about 41st and louise with all the people trying to turn into walmart, who’s parking lot entrance is far too close the intersection IMO.

5. Mary Brewer says:

East 26th Street is really bad now that River Boulevard is closed. It has always been a delay area but really bad now…yesterday from Cliff Avenue to Cleveland was solid congestion…WOW, this is NOT an area to be forgotten. With Lincoln High School, commuters, and general traffic closing River Boulevard has really caused some major delays and traffic back up.

6. Jeff says:

South Cliff Ave can be fun in the morning. Backed up from Lincoln high School and goes well past 57th St. Was getting close to 69th St. this morning.

7. Andrea says:

12th street seems to be bad around 5 o’clock from down town up to kiwanis.

8. Timothy F. says:

I don’t venture out onto the roads much anymore unless I know that it’s during a time when traffic will not be at it’s worst, but even on days when I have to be out and about I know where I need to go and the best way to get there based on the time of day. Don’t get me wrong, road construction is hampering our primary roads, but what about all of our wonderful side roads? I live about central/west but occasionally enjoy making the trip to the Target and Wal-Mart on the east side of town. Why take 10th/11th/12th across town and fight traffic, sit at stop lights, and hope I don’t get hit by another enraged driver when I can take West to 6th, 6th to Foss, and Foss to Target and Wal-Mart? Sure, it’s a bit out of the way, but if it saves me ten miles of headache then why not?